- Famous For: History, Scenery, Beauty
- Entrance Fee: No fee as it is a public place
- Visiting Time: Sunrise to Sunset (Daily)
- Visit Duration: 1 hour to 2 hours
The Japanese Bunkers which are present at strategic locations in the capital, Port Blair of Andaman, tell an important story of the history of the place. Port Blair is a vivid location with a lot to of activities to do and with plenty to see. Tourists from all over the world can be seen visiting the islands to enjoy the serenity of the islands and also to experience a different culture. These once robust structures were constructed by the Japanese who invaded and occupied the islands during the period of World War II. The bunkers can be found in many places. One of them is quite nearby at Corbyn’s Cave, which is an island at a small distance away. Ross Island is the more famous place where the bunkers are present, as it is visited by a larger number of tourists due to the many tourist spots present around the area. These bunkers are mostly now in ruins and are planned on being renovated for security purposes by the army.
- Carry water and keep yourself hydrated while roaming around the area.
- Wear comfortable clothes to deal with the humidity and good footwear for walking around.
Things to Do
- Witness a natural sanctuary over there with peacocks and deers which roam around the premises of the Ross Island.
- Photograph amazing shots with the colorful and alluring backdrop which consists of sandy beaches and crystal clear water.
- Swim in the rejuvenating waters and sun-bathe in the sandy beaches.
- Visit the Anthropological Museum which is a treasure house of information.
- Get the adrenaline pumping by trying out the plethora of adventure activities like snorkeling, boating, scuba diving, fishing etc.
- Enjoy the night life of the location which is a totally different experience in itself.
- Try out the local cuisines of the place which are provided by the plethora of local eateries in the location.
Availability of Guides
The best way to visit the islands would be to book a tour package by a reputed travel agency which provides guides throughout the trip. They make sure you have a really good experience by getting to visit all the important places and carrying out all the fun activities in the spot.
Best Time to Visit
The Andaman Islands can be visited anytime during the year and is filled with tourists all around the year. The summers are perfect to carry out most of the water activities while the winter months provide the perfect mild climate which complements the holiday mood. The monsoons can be heavy and is utilized to sight see around the islands.
How to Reach
Port Blair can be reached by the Veer Savarkar Aiport International Airport which is well connected to all the major airports in the country like those of Chennai, Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata etc. There is no railway station in Port Blair and hence there is extensive use of cabs, auto rickshaws and ferries within the island. Public transport is extensively available for transport within the city. To reach the Ross Island there are private ferry services available.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Japanese Bunkers
- The bunkers are a result of the invasion of the Japanese in 1945.
- There was very less resistance from the British controlled regiments who easily gave up control to the Japanese.
- The Japanese did leave back a lot of destruction in their wake.
- Most of these bunkers have been ruined by the effects of nature as they were not maintained properly.
- Recently, the government had announced that the bunkers would be fortified and maintained in order to bolster security as they have been constructed at strategic locations around the island.
- Icy Spicy
- Full Moon Café
- Lighthouse Residency
- Viper Island
- North Bay Island
- Cellular Jail
- Ross and Smith Islands
- Samudrika Marine Museum
The enticing allure of this picturesque location just transfers us into a state of timelessness. Visiting the bunkers gives us a taste of the effect the war had on the place and its importance due to its geographical local. All this makes a visit to this location mandatory by tourists visiting the mesmerizing spot.