- Famous For: Mulberry Plantations, Sericulture
- Entrance Fee: Paid
- Visiting Time: 6 AM TO 6 PM (On All Days)
- Visiting Duration: The silk farm is situated in a village named Mangalam and the stretch of the mulberry plantation is also quite long. It may take you around 2 hrs to visit the place including the time to travel.
The mulberry plantations form an indispensable part of the sericulture as it is on these plants that the silk worms survive. The plants are so managed that they are available at every stage of growth to make their availability at any time guaranteed. The visitors can also see the whole process along with the silk farm from a closer view. The silkworms are kept in a specific room where they are hatched after 10 days and then they are transferred to the trays where they eat their mulberry leaves and then they help aggravate the silk industry.
- The mulberry plantations are at a longer stretch but do take a stroll at the plantation as it would be worth the walk. You will get to know more about the people, the industry and the whole process involved.
- As for the same reasons mentioned above, children should not be taken along the walk as this could be tiring for them.
- Although the farm remains open until 6 PM, it is advisable to take the tour in the morning.
Things to Do
- While you are here in the Silk farm village, don’t miss out on Trekking. From the village itself, the trekking takes on and reaches up to a small peak from where the entire Yelagiri is visible. the tiring 6km trekking will all seem worth the treachery once you reach the end point. The whole way starting from the village is surrounded by nature’s beauty and excitement. Trekking is a strong tourist attraction here and it must be tried.
- Yelagiri also serves as a hotspot for paragliding. Besides taking fun among the land, you can also tour the sky. While you paraglide, you can have the most amazing views of the locations and an exotic experience as well.
- Jalagamparai Waterfalls would be another enthralling experience. Although there is a direct route to this place but fortunately it mostly stays closed. Fortunately, because due to this, travelers have to search their way down to the massive waterfall by coming down a hill, trekking the plains and again climbing up the hills. The 5km journey is as amazing as the waterfall.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit the silk farm would be from November to February because this is the peak time for the sericulture activities. You will be able to explore and discover more things. Also, the winter seasons experience less rainfall as compared to the summer. So, this makes it convenient for you to do the sightseeing or undertaking the trekking or the paragliding activity.
How to Reach
To reach Mangalam village you can take a cab or an auto. The silk farm is a little walk away from the parking space.
Or, you can also take the bus. The bus will drop you at the Athanavur Bus Stop and from there you will have to take an auto or you can also book a cab there.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Silk Farm
- Earlier the silk farm and the whole region of Yelagiri was the private property of the Yelagiri Zamindars. In the early 1950s, the government of India took over its charge.
- Yelagiri is also known by the name Elagiri.
- Nialvur Lake
- Punganur Lake
- Jalagamparai Falls
- Vainu Bapu Observatory
- Moksha Vimochana Temple
- Telescope Viewpoint
- Nature Park
- Government Herbal Farm
- Velavan Temple
- Peters Park
Government Silk Farm would be a splendid experience for you. Knowing the things and getting a chance to peek at it are two different things and when nature gives you this amazing opportunity of having such a close encounter with itself. I am sure you won’t like to miss it.
Apart from this, there are many things to do in the place. Coming last but not the least, is the never-ending list of the attractions nearby. This place definitely deserves your visit.