- Famous for: Most magnificent manmade lake in Southern India, Hill station, Photography, Morning walks, Boating, Peace point.
- Entrance fee: The parking fee is nil here. Entry fee is ₹3 per person. Apart from this, the boating charges are applied- ₹75 for rowing boat and ₹50 for pedal boat.
- Visiting time: It can be visited at any time from morning 8am to evening 7pm through the seven week days.
- Visiting duration: Lasts between 2-4 hours on an average.
In the foothills of the Eastern Ghats, the hill station of Yelagiri at an altitude of 1410 meters above mean sea level, lays nestled between the towns of Vaniyambadi and Jolaraipetty. It is only a little yet famous hill station with a hamlet of 14 hamlets covering a span of 29 kilometers. The Punganoor lake in the midst of these hills is a refreshing and the most magnificent manmade lake that presents with it a number of options for the tourists here. With pleasant climate all through the year, it is an extremely inviting weekend getaway for the rest of the coastal areas mostly enduring humid and hot weather through and through. The address to this lake can be very easily located as the locals here are friendly and will provide directions easily. There are a number of budget hotels as well as relaxing resorts around the place that ensure a comfortable and affordable stay at Yelagiri.
- The authorities, to ensure spic and span maintenance and cleanliness of the place, do not allow picnicking inside the lake. So kindly ensure you do not get eatables or picnic ideas when you are visiting the Punganoor lake.
- Beware of monkeys around this area. Do not try to feed them or fidget with them.
- Do not try to be overtly adventurous while rowing the boat and make sure the kids don’t attempt to jump into the water body.
- The place has been well maintained by the officials. Play your part as a responsible citizen and do not litter around the place.
- The lake is 57 square meters around the borders lush with gardens and pathways and makes a good track for morning or evening walks.
- A lot of adventure and sports camp keep springing up around the lake and the rest parts of Yelagiri, so make sure to get your sports shoes and sportswear too to be able to participate in these.
- Make sure to carry some warm clothes when visiting in the extreme winters.
- At a time, they allow four riders apart from the boat rower in the boat.
Things to Do
- Rowing boats and pedaling boats are an option here and for a minimal fee you can spend maximum up to three hours boating in the Punganoor lake.
- Fresh nature walks along the maintained sylvan pathways of the park are a must to embark upon when in Yelagiri.
- Photography shoots or video shoots can be carried out.
- Sit in the serene silence and enjoy the birds chirping and revel in the beauty of the ambiance around the plush lake with your loved and dear ones.
Availability of Guides
There are no guides available as there isn’t really much to be instructed about. The lake and the gardens next to it lay to be explored and interpreted by each in his own ways.
Best Time to Visit
The climate of the place is pleasant and refreshingly inviting throughout the year, so you can absolutely visit the Punganoor lake anytime you feel the need for taking a break from the chaos and head into the silence and quiet rejuvenation for the weekend.
How to Reach
The lake is at a distance of about 7 km from the city center and can be easily reached via cab or auto. Visitors can also walk to the lake from their hotels and also explore the nearby surroundings.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Punganoor Lake
- There is a musical fountain (man-made) fifteen feet high, resting right in the middle of the lake that marvels tourists paddling around it.
- Adjoined to the lake is as Mughal lake that houses many equipment for play for kids.
- Swamimalay Hills
- Jalagamparai Waterfalls
- Velevan temple
- Summer Festival
- Nilavoor Lake
- Yelagiri Adventure Camp
- Murugan Temple
- Yelagiri Marigold Ridge
- Dolphin Resort
- Ulo Orion Palace
- Sherton Hill Crest
To experience a nice refreshing morning clubbed with walks and natural perks, you should pay a visit to the Punganoor Lake when around Yelagiri.