- Famous for: Scenery, Flowers, Beauty
- Entrance Fee:15 per adult and Rs.5 per child; additional fee of Rs.25 for the fountain show
- Visiting Time: 7 AM to 8 PM (Daily)
- Visit Duration: 2 hours to 3 hours
The hill station of Yelagiri is a part of the Vellore district in the state of Tamil Nadu. An epitome of scenic beauty, this location, which is present at an altitude of about 1110 meters above the sea level is flocked over by tourists for its mesmerizing panorama. A prime attraction of this gorgeous spot is the government maintained Nature Park. Spread over an area of 12 acres, this majestic plot has been well designed to provide an aesthetic sense of appeal to the visitors of the spot. An array of activities to keep up with the vibrant location is also conducted for the people to be occupied and to give them the exact ambience to relax and unwind within. The multitude of flowers and their different varieties is a treat to the eye indeed. The colorful range of flowers is what makes this location very special indeed.
- The musical fountain plays only if a minimum of 25 members turn up for the show and it starts at around 7 PM.
- There are bathroom facilities available within the park.
- Food is allowed within the park.
Things to Do
- This is the perfect spot for flower lovers to immerse yourselves within the colorful display of the various types of flowers.
- The music fountain with its attractive lighting present in the evenings is another show to watch out here.
- There are bathing facilities within the cascaded fountains which is a fun activity to carry out with the family.
- Amazing photos can be clicked with this picturesque location serving as the perfect photogenic backdrop.
- Trekking at the nearby Swamimalai is something which should be tried out by the adventure junkies.
- There is a small park with manual rides for children to play around within the premises.
- Visit the Punganoor Lake which is a small distance away for its charming view.
- There is an aquarium within the park which contains lots of fishes for visitors to look at.
Availability of Guides
This is a place where people visit to enjoy the well-manicured garden and its fun activities. So, there is no need of a guide while traversing this tourist spot.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit and enjoy the cool and pleasant climate of this place is during the winter months of November to February. Since this is a hill station, people visit it all around the year, especially during the summer months to escape the scorching heat of the plains. During this season in the months of June to July, various flowers can be seen in full bloom, though the days can be a little hot while the evenings are relatively cooler.
How to Reach
The Nature Park is located quite near the Punganoor Lake at about 750 meters from the Athanvur bus stop. The Bangalore Airport at around 120 kilometers awayis the nearest airport while the closest railway station is the Jolarpettai station at a distance of 20 kilometers from Yelagiri. Buses are regularly available from all the main cities like Kanchipuram, Vellore, Chengelpet, Chennai etc, making Yelagiri easily accessible. Cabs and autos can be used in plenty to traverse within the city in addition to private vehicles.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about the Nature Park
- This park was established in 2008 to cater to the needs of the tourists visiting the hill station.
- The Nature Park is officially also known as the Government Herbal Farm within the area.
- It contains some bamboo houses as well as poly houses on display for the visitors.
- The aquarium houses tortoises in addition to some species of fishes.
- About fourteen hairpin bends are encountered when Yelagiri is attained through road from Poneri via the Ghat road.
- The Punganoor Lake quite nearby is about 25 feet in depth and offers boating services.
- Lakeview Restaurant
- Landmark Restaurant
- Meenum Restaurant
- Nilgress Restaurant
- Peter Park’s Restaurant
- Velavan Temple
- Jalagamparai Falls
- Punganoor Lake
- Swamimalai Hill
This location with its soul stirring spots, provides visitors with the much needed respite from the monotony of everyday life, making it the perfect weekend getaway. The fresh air and the refreshing aura is something which makes the place an intoxicating mix which is hard to resist and pulls visitors towards it time and again.