- Famous For: Tourism, Experience seekers, Photography and Learning.
- Entrance Fee: Entry fee for every individual is 15 INR and for parking of 2 wheelers they charge a nominal amount of 5 INR. For Musical Fountain, you would be charged an extra fee of 25 INR.
- Visiting Time: It is open on all days of the week and the timings are from 9AM to 6PM.
- Visit Duration: Approximately an hour. If you want to attend the special Musical fountain show then you might take a bit longer.
Maintained by the forest department and located near Punganur Lake, Government Herbal Farm in Yelagiri is a must visit for all nature lovers. The flora and medicinal plants around this farm are a sight to behold. Apart from being a botanical garden, this farm has many other places to visit like an aquarium, musical fountain etc.
- Try to visit during the show timings. All information about the timings is mentioned in the article.
- Observe the variety of floras that are grown there. It would of great help to anybody for knowledge purpose.
- Do not carry any food items or plastic bags inside the farm unnecessarily because food is available inside the garden and maintaining the cleanliness of the place is a top priority.
- Visit during the Sunset times so that you can enjoy the sunset behind the mountain too.
Things to Do
- Watch the variety of floras that are there and gather knowledge about ayurvedic medicines.
- Watch the Musical Fountain show which is really beautiful and takes place 7:30 p.m. onwards.
- There is an aquarium which might interest you too.
- A photoshoot in such an exotic place would surely spice up your travel diary.
- Walk down to the Punganoor lake which is another beauty just close to it and don’t forget the boating in that lake.
- Let your kids enjoy the manual fun rides set up for them.
- The way to the lake would bring you to some exotic fruits like bell fruit, star fruit, and passion fruit which you wouldn’t get in your daily markets. Enjoy having them along with your favorite mangoes too.
Best Time to Visit
The winter months (November to February) get chilly. The temperature falls sharply but if you enjoy the cold, then you might as well visit then
During the months of March to May, the temperature is a little higher with occasional rainfall. Sight-seeing is best during this time of the year. There are flower shows and dog shows arranged by the government during this time, so would get the best out of that place during this time
The monsoon witness’s heavy rainfall and most tourists try avoiding this time. If you are looking to spend some quiet time, rainy season is the best. The atmosphere is wonderful with fresh air and greenery all around.
How to Reach
The nearest airport to the town of Yelagiri Is the Bangalore International Airport which is at a distance of about 145 kilometers. From there, you can take a bus or book a cab to reach the city of Yelagiri, and not to mention Bangalore is well connected with almost many cities. The Farm is just located at a distance of 2.5 kilometers from the main city.
If you are planning to travel by train, you might reach Jolarpettai railway station which is 21 kilometers from Yelagiri and would be a wise decision than travelling by airlines since this station is closer to Yelagiri.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about Government Herbal Farm
- A small Murugan temple can be also found nearby on a hill. It can be reached after a small trek.
- The farm is filled with small parks for small children.
- The many plants grown here are an important component in many Ayurveda medicines and are also used in Siddha treatment.
- Yelagiri forest hill
- Vainu bappu observatory
- Tirupattur and Jawadhu Hills
- Kadaladi forest
- Alangayam RF
- SRL Rose garden and Waterfalls
- Shiv Parvathi Temple
- Yelagiri Nature Park
There are other famous tourist spots like Banerghatta National Park, Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium, Aruvikuzhi Waterfalls etc. which are a bit far off from this place but one can plan to visit these spots surely.
- Hotel Nigress
- Hotel Kumarraja palace
- Yelagiri Restaurant
- Touchstone Resort
- Sri balaji Bhavan restaurant
- Chola restaurant
- Hotel Aruvi
A must visit for the city dwellers for whom it is very necessary to rejuvenate themselves in some calm place. If you are visiting south India, or rather Yelagiri, then this is one perfect spot for you to refresh yourselves before you get back to your daily work in the small cubicle.