- Famous for: Temples, Scenery
- Entrance Fee: No fee
- Visiting Time: Anytime
- Visit Duration: 1 day to 2 days
Suchindrum is a dainty town present in the southern district of Kanyakumari in the state of Tamil Nadu. Widely famous throughout the country for the Thanumalayan temple, this pleasant location attracts a lot of devotees to it. Situated about 10 kilometers from the city of Kanyakumari, the main temple of this temple city has the rare occurrence where the idols of Lord Shiva, Lord Vishnu and Lord Brahma are present side to side. In addition, there is a magnificent statue of Lord Hanuman which is the prime attraction of the temple. The name of the temple is made from the fact that Lord Shiva is known as Sthana, Lord Vishnu as Maal and Lord Brahma as Ayan. The splendid setting of the town with its nearness to the southernmost point of India, Kanyakumari, makes it the perfect place to experience bliss and relax within the serene surroundings with temples all around it.
- The town has got facilities for stay and dining with temples being the prime attraction.
- There are more than 15 temples within the small town which has got a pleasant climate throughout the year.
Things to Do
- Get blessings in the Thanumalayan temple from the three powerful deities residing within the same premises.
- Be marveled by the wonderful architecture of the temples in the city which have got breathtaking carvings encompassed in it.
- Witness the 22 feet tall Hanuman idol which stands tall and majestic in the courtyard of the temple and was made from a single block of granite.
- Photograph amazing shots with the various scenic locations in the city as the backdrop.
- Experience the culture of the states of Kerala and Tamil Nadu as the city is present on the border of the two states.
- Eat different kinds of Keralite and Tamil Nadu cuisines available throughout the town.
- Visit the nearby town of Kanyakumari and the Valluvar Fort for which it is famed.
- Look out for the soul stirring sunsets and sunrises which the southern point of the country is famed for.
Availability of Guides
Since the temple is famed for its varied temples, local guides can be hired to know about the historical significance of each of the temple for a certain fee.
Best Time to Visit
The temple town has got a pleasant ambience throughout the year. Being near the coast, it can experience a certain amount of humidity especially during the summer months of March to May. The winter months which have a mild temperature are the perfect time to visit the town. If you want to enjoy the greenery of the location, the months of July and August are when the heavy rainfall brings about a fresh hue to the town. In order to witness the devotion of the town, visit during the two important festivals being conducted during the months of December and May when there are huge processions within the city.
How to Reach
This town is present right in the middle of the city of Kanyakumari and Nagarkoil. The nearest airport to reach the location is in Trivandrum which is about 90 kilometers away, in the nearby state of Kerala. The closest railway station is in Nagerkoil which is about 7 kilometers away from Suchindram. Bus services are available in plenty to Suchindram from Tirunelveli, Kanyakumari and other cities wherein the buses stop on their way to Kanyakumari. The city can be traversed by the good network of autos and local buses.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about Suchindram
- In the Alankar Mandap area of the main Thanumalayan temple, there are four musical pillars which were carved out of a single stone and is world famous.
- The Nandi statue within the premises of the temple is also one of the biggest in the country.
- The gigantic Hanuman statue was rediscovered in 1930 after being buried to prevent its destruction by foreign invaders.
- In addition, there are about 1040 pillars within the huge temple.
- Kumari Amman Temple
- Kolivilai Temple Garden
- City Bakery
- Tasty Pan Restaurant
- Hot Chicken
- Amudham Restaurant
- Arasan Restaurant
The serenity of the charming location which is rich in culture and architecture, makes it a popular destination amongst visitors wanting to get away from the hustle of daily life to experience tranquility. Visiting this location has got to be in the bucket list of architecture lovers and history buffs.