- Famous for: Divinity, Architecture, Serenity
- Entrance Fee: No fee for this place of worship
- Visiting Time: 4:30 AM to 12:30 PM and then from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- Visit Duration: 1 hour to 2 hours
The Kanyakumari temple is a divine and heavenly location present in the southern tip of the country. Basically, meaning the ‘Virgin Goddess’, the location of Kanyakumari has been named after this temple and the folklore behind it. This dainty city is famous for its temples and the beach, marking the southernmost point of India. Also, known as the Kumari Amman Temple, this sacred location is one out of the 108 shakthi peetas in the country, making it one of the most visited temples in the state by ardent devotees. The location of the temple, just off the coastline, makes it a picturesque spot to visit, while also having a really mesmerizing architecture to complement the location. The entrance is from the northern gate while the goddess faces east within the sanctum of the temple. A work of dazzling beauty, the temple and the goddess have to be visited to immerse yourself in the serenity of this place of worship.
- Men will have to enter the temple shirtless as this is a tradition followed in this temple.
- Bargain at the shops right outside the temple as quoted prices of items are usually high.
Things to Do
- Get to know the history of the place from the saints and the pujaris present within the temple premises.
- Enjoy the beautiful sunset and sunrise from the beach which is incomparable in its allure.
- Visit the various shrines present within the temple which include that of the Lord Ayyapa, Goddess Balasundari, Lord Ganesh and many others.
- Be mesmerized by the centuries old temple constructed in the Kerala style of architecture.
- Buy some souvenirs from the outer stalls of the temple which have got a multitude of things famous within the locality.
- Photograph the natural beauty within the region and the architecture of the ancient structure.
- Try out some of the eateries present in the region serving famous South Indian cuisines to get a taste of the local food.
- Look into the famed Vivekananda Rock nearby which is said to have the footprint of the Kanya Devi.
- Enjoy a walk on the coastline while enjoying the view of the beach.
Availability of Guides
There are local guides available to explain the history and the folktales behind the temple as well as the locality.
Best Time to Visit
Kanyakumari has got a mild and pleasant climate throughout the year. The best time to visit the region would be during the month of May when the Vaisakhi festival is celebrated with great grandeur within this locality. Navaratri, celebrated in the month of September and the Kalabham Festival celebrated during the period of July to August, are also great times to visit to the temple and view it in its full glory.
How to Reach
Kanyakumari is a famous tourist location, situated on the border of the states of Tamil Nadu and Kerala. The nearest airport to this city is in Trivandrum, which is at a distance of about 47 kilometers from it. The temple is just a kilometer away from the Kanyakumari Railway Station and about the same distance away from the bus stop. For travelling within the city, cabs and auto rickshaws can be used in plenty.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about the Kanyakumari Temple
- The temple is almost 3000 years old and is said to be built by Lord Parasuram.
- Reconstruction of the temple was later done by the rulers of the Pandya dynasty.
- The prime attraction of the temple is the dazzling nose ring of the goddess, whose sparkle is said to have mislead many sailors into thinking that the temple was a lighthouse.
- The Eastern entrance of the temple is kept closed as it faces the sea and is opened only during specific times of the year.
- The Goddess was born to kill the demon Banasuran as a virgin, and remained unmarried after her marriage to Lord Shiva was stopped by Nardar as he wanted her to fulfil the purpose of her birth.
- Thanumalayan Temple
- Keeriparai Reserve Forest
- Government Museum
- Archana Restaurant
- Hotel Sri Annapurna
- Hotel Triveni
- The Ocean Restaurant
This jewel of a place is a must visit for people who want to witness breathtaking architecture set within a soul stirring location. The spirituality of the place will really make you visit the spot time and again.