- Famous For: Lush and vibrant gardens, Flower shows, Lalbagh Lake
- Entrance Fee: Entry fees are quite nominal. For an adult, it is Rs. 10 and for children below 12 years it is free. The vehicle fees are as follows, Two-Wheeler – Rs. 5, Car – Rs. 10, Tempo – Rs. 30 and Bus – Rs. 80
- Visiting Time: The gardens are open throughout the year for people to visit. The public can visit the gardens between 0900 – 1800 hours.
- Visiting Duration: The Lalbagh Gardens are really vast and you will have a large area to cover. It will take you about 2-3 hours to walk around Lalbagh and have a look at all its exhibits.
Lalbagh is one of India’s largest and most exquisite botanical gardens. It has an impressive number of plants of all sorts of variety. A lot of the plants and shrubs are shaped into beautiful structures. This place is also known for its flora conservation efforts.
It is not just any garden, but it represents a lot more than just a typical garden. Lalbagh is in its most picturesque sight during its biannual Flower shows. You will never regret taking your kid to this scenic spot.
- Plucking of flowers is not allowed. You are not supposed to remove any of them for any personal purposes.
- Since it is an ecologically sensitive zone, littering is shunned around here. Carry your litter until you find a dustbin.
- Don’t wander by yourself. Follow the trail; the signs are easy to navigate.
- Visit the garden during the time when the flowers are in bloom. Plan your visit well in advance to fully enjoy your time there.
- Carry hats and shades to combat the heat in summers.
- Vehicles are allowed only through the East gate. There is enough parking area to suit the demands.
Things to Do
- Take a walk in the colorful flower pathways of Lalbagh.
- Have a look at the exotic plant species in the Glasshouse.
- Check out some of the amazing floral installations like the HMT clock and Snow White’s garden.
- Marvel at the pink beauty of the Lotus lake.
- Feel the cool breeze along the lakeside of Lalbagh lake.
- Discover 3000 million year old rocks at Peninsular Gneiss Rock.
Availability of Guides
You can very easily find guides to take you around. They are easy to book from local tourism agencies or online sources. You can easily navigate on your own too.
Best Time to Visit
The absolute best time would be during spring season which falls between January- February. Try to plan your visit to time it to the Flower Show. The shows are held on two occasions, one is the Independence Day and the other is the Republic day.
How to Reach
The garden is located in the Jayanagar region of Bangalore. Bangalore is well connected to other metropolitan cities like Mumbai, Delhi and Chennai by flight and train. Once in Bangalore you can use the regular bus and auto service to commute there. There are many private taxi owners that can help you in the same.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about Lalbagh Botanical Gardens
- The construction of Lalbagh started in 1760 under the watchful eyes of Hyder Ali, Mysore’s ruler. But it was completed by Tipu Sultan, Hyder Ali’s son. And later by British and Indian horticulture experts.
- The garden was called Lalbagh because of its huge collection of red roses.
- What started as a 40-acre private garden is now a 240-acre public garden with various beautiful exhibits.
- The garden is well planned. It has a geometrical enclosure with four entry points. It has well laid out roads with large open spaces and thousands of rare and endangered plant species.
- Lalbagh is internationally renowned for its achievements in conservation of plant species and aiding the development of horticulture. It is an important center for analysis, experimentation and documentation of plant information.
- The biannual flower shows are one of the most astounding sights and definitely worth visiting.
- Vishvesvaraya Industrial and Technological Museum
- Vidhan Sowdha
- Karnataka High court
- Bull Temple
- Kempegowde Tower
- Cubbon Park
- Bugle Rock
- Innovative Film City
- Freedom Park
Nearby Places to Eat
- Mavalli Tiffin Room
- Bangalore Belly
- Naidu Millitary Hotel
- Nandhini Restaurant
- Shyvan Restaurant
- Sooper Hotel
- R S Lunch Home
- Kamat Restaurant
Lalbagh gardens are one of the most impressive and humungous garden areas in all of Asia. They are filled with cascade of colorful flowers and lush vegetation. The picturesque sights are enough to put you into ecstasy. Your kids will thoroughly enjoy these open and green areas. It is a must visit place for anyone who travels to Bangalore.