- Famous for: Art, History, Ambiance
- Entrance Fee:10 per adult and Rs.5 per child
- Visiting Time: 10 AM to 5 PM (Except Monday)
- Visit Duration: 2 hours to 3 hours
The Government Museum in the city of Bangalore is a storehouse of rich historical and cultural significance. Located at the Kasturba Gandhi road, this prime location was established early in 1865. Encompassing a wide arena consisting of 18 galleries, with each of them housing their own special domain of interest, this museum is an apt place for history buffs and the curious to satisfy their innate quest for knowledge. This structure houses a multitude of artifacts like art, pottery, coins from different eras in history like that of the early Mohenjodaro, Vijyanagar and the Chandravalli period. With separate sections dedicated to numismatics, sculpting, geology, textiles etc. this is the apt place to spend time in to gather insight on the impact of our existence in the world. This museum has got a separate wing which has a collection of about 600 paintings called the Venkatappa Art Gallery to mesmerize art lovers.
- Wear comfortable footwear to walk through the complete area of the building which can take a lot of time.
- Photography is prohibited within the premises of the museum.
Things to Do
- Grab the chance of looking upon so much of history under one single roof for a really nominal fee.
- Enjoy the presentations and art work on display in the art gallery as well as works of the great artist, Venkatappa himself.
- Look into the various jewelry, coins, weapons and sculptures which give a glimpse into the royal history of our country.
- Relax in the vicinity of the tranquil and well-maintained garden around the building.
- The inscriptions of some of Kannada’s earliest scriptures like the Atakur, Halmidi and Begur are the prime attractions of the spot.
- Spend some time at the famed Cubbon park present right next to the museum to get in touch with nature.
- The six centuries old Ganesh temple on the same road can also be visited.
- Have fun trying out food at the local eateries around the region.
Availability of Guides
Local guides are available for a certain fee to explain the various sections of the museum, though it is quite self-explanatory by itself.
Best Time to Visit
Being a collection of antiquities housed within a building, this spot can be visited at any time of the year. The building isn’t air conditioned and hence try to visit either in the mornings or a little later in the afternoons to have a more pleasant visit. The city of Bangalore is at its best after the summers, during the months from September to February due to its mild climate.
How to Reach
Bangalore being a metro city is quite well connected in all aspects. The Kasthurba Road, where the museum is located, can be reached through any means of transport like buses, cabs or autos as it is quite nearby important landmarks like Chinnasvamy Stadium and the Karnataka High court.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about the Government Museum
- This museum is officially the second oldest museum in the southern region of the country.
- It was opened by the army medical surgeon, Edward Balfour, who had already established a similar museum in Madras.
- Before the museum was opened at this location, it functioned in the Cantonment’s jail building.
- Certain collections of the museum are as old as about 5000 years old.
- The wood work of K.K.Hebbar can be found in the Hebbar section solely dedicated to his work.
- Art of famous personalities like Hanumaiah, M.F. Hussian and Rekha Rao are also on display.
- The spectacular two storeyed building was planned by the erstwhile Chief Engineer of Bangalore, Col. Richard Hieram Sankey.
- Mainland China
- Barbeque Nation
- Rajdhani Thali Nation
- Dum Pukht Jolly Nabobs
- ISKCON Temple
- Lumbini Gardens
- Cubbon Park
- Lal Bagh Botanical Garden
- Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium
This masterpiece of a structure which encompasses a humongous trove of information over widely different areas of interest, makes it the perfect place where people wanting their curiosity to be piqued by different domains can visit. Dropping by at this location and spending some time within its aura is the right way to look back at our history with pride and stride with the same sense of resourcefulness back into our daily lives.