- Famous for: Scenery, Serenity
- Entrance Fee: No fee for this public spot
- Visiting Time: Sunrise to Sunset
- Visit Duration: 2 hours to 3 hours
The Shivasamudram Falls, located in the Mandhya district of the state of Karnataka, is widely famed for the twin falls which consist it. Situated about 120 kilometers from the capital, Bangalore, the falls which make up the Shivasamudram are the Gangachukki and the Bharachukki falls. This place is a bountiful island region which has got such a majestic ambience that is not to be missed at any cost. These falls are formed due to the river Kaveri dropping off into the gorge after meandering through the Deccan Plateau region. It is at this point that the falls separate into different segments after which they join together at a later point along the pathway. Set within a pristine location, these falls hold the title of being the second largest falls in the country and the sixteenth largest in the world.
- Be careful of your possessions as there can be monkeys around the area.
- Keep off certain areas which are off-limits due to occurrence of fatal incidents within the premises.
- There are no facilities for keeping your personal belongings.
- Wear comfortable footwear as there are lot of steps which will have to be climbed down to reach the falls.
Things to Do
- Get the adrenaline pumping by trekking through the lush greenery which surrounds the region.
- Avail the services of the tokari boat which takes you to the center of the waterfall.
- Relax within the serene ambience which is provided at this location set amidst the Kaveri Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Spend the night and enjoy the stay at the guesthouses around the location.
- Visit the Ranganathaswamy temple which is tucked away within a remote corner but is quite famous amongst devotees.
- Photograph with the splendid scenery serving as the perfect vivid background.
- Look into the hydroelectric plant which is still functional and was established as one of the firsts in Asia.
- Have fun bathing in the shallower areas where it is safe to do so.
Availability of Guides
Since this is basically a recreational spot where people come to roam around and relax, there is no need of a guide.
Best Time to Visit
The falls are best visited right after the monsoon as this is the time when they are filled with water from the rains that poured down. Visit between the months of July to October to make sure you have the best experience. At any other time of the year, there is a good chance that most of the area can be almost dry and have absolutely nothing to look into.
How to Reach
Situated within the Mandhya district and located at about 80 kilometers from Mysore, this tourist spot can be reached easily by road through private vehicles or cabs. The nearest railway station is in Maddur. From Bangalore there are buses to this spot after which some means of transport should be taken to venture deeper into the area. This spot can be reached either through Maddur or through Kanakapur, both of which have got good road facilities from Bangalore.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about the Shivasamudram Falls
- The two segments of the falls, Ganganachukki present to the eastern side and Bharachukki to the western side, are about a kilometer from each other.
- The power from the hydroelectric plant was earlier used to provide power for the Kolar Gold Fields.
- The flow of the Ganganachukki falls is somewhat similar to that of the Niagara Falls, with a certain ‘u’ shape to it.
- From the clock tower, the branching of the falls can be witnessed.
- The Ganganachukki has got better facilities for tourists like stay and place to eat, whereas the Bharachukki is more accessible.
- A legend says that when a demon chased River Kaveri and her father, the father prayed to Lord Shiva who killed the demon and paved way for Kaveri to go forward.
- Kaveri Wildlife Sanctuary
- Shimshapura Falls
- Shakti Devati Temple
- Sri Someshwara Temple
There are no proper eateries available around the area, so carry your own food and water when visiting the spot.
The gorgeous location with its breathtaking grandeur makes it a place which is visited time and again by tourists who just cannot stay away from the intoxicating pull of this beauty. This is the perfect weekend getaway and provides the right ambience to have a soul stirring trip.