- Famous For: Nature, Photography
- Entry Fee: No fee is required.
- Visiting Time: 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. preferably
- Visiting Duration: 30 minutes to 1 hour
Dharamshala is one of the topmost tourist destinations in the heavenly state of Himachal Pradesh. This beautiful place is adorned with many gorgeous monuments and natural amenities that have increased its popularity over the years. One such natural wonder is the famous Dal Lake that has become as popular in Dharamshala as the primitive and infamous Dal Lake of Kashmir. This lake, thus, attracts various and innumerable tourists from all over the world because of its panoramic view and the much-felt serenity.
- Wear comfortable trekking shoes as you might be required to walk 2 km at a stretch to reach this heavenly lake surrounded by the deodar forest.
- The nearest market is 2 km away from the Dal Lake. So, buy the necessary items from there itself as the region around Dal Lake is scarcely populated.
- Wear comfortable clothes and carry woollen clothes with yourself because it gets really cold after dark.
- Do not try to swim in the lake as there are snakes in the lake.
Things to Do There
- This is a premium trekking point where people from every major age group can enjoy from a light to an extensive trekking.
- The tourists can offer their prayers to Lord Shiva at the temple dedicated to him on the banks of the lake.
- The lake has a boat ride facility as biggest source of entertainment. The tourists can indeed delve in that pleasurable activity.
- The tourists can also enjoy fishing by the lake with special permission from the undertaking authorities.
Availability of Guides
At the premises of the Dal Lake, you would not find a professional guide. However, you can interact with the local people out there so that you get to know more about this beautiful lake.
Best Time to Visit
The Dal Lake in Dharamshala can be visited any time of the year because of the astounding scenic beauty. However, it is recommended that the tourists visit the Dal Lake in September because of the ongoing festival in which they would be able to participate and, thus, enjoy themselves.
How to Reach the Place
The Dal Lake is situated at a distance of 7.8 km away from the main market and can be reached via a taxi or a car. If you are seeking a fresh set of adventures them, you can also visit the lake by booking a guided trek under the surveillance of a local and an experienced guide.
Interesting Facts About the Dal Lake, Dharamshala
- The Dal Lake in Dharamshala was named after the Dal Lake in Kashmir.
- On the banks of this panoramic lake lies the auspicious temple of Lord Shiva where pilgrims from all over Himachal Pradesh come to offer their prayers.
- The tribal people living in the surrounding regions of the Dal Lake come to celebrate the most awaited festival in September where a number of food stalls and other attractions are set up.
- Kangra Valley
- Namgyal Monastery
- Kareri Lake
- John in the Wilderness Church
- Tibet Museum
- H H Dalai Lama Main Temple
- State Museum of Dharamshala
- Tsuglagkhang Complex
- Tibet Kitchen
- Nick’s Italian Kitchen
- Jimmy’s Italian Kitchen
- Lobsang’s Four Season Café
- Snow Lion’s Restaurant
- Morgan’s Place
- Lung Ta
- Trek and Dine
Thus, a trip to the Dal Lake in Dharamshala is truly an astounding and a refreshing trip as it will infuse a new spirit of life as a whole in the hearts of every tourist. Thus, to escape from the hectic life in the cities, this joyous place with ample scenic beauty is a must visit for all.