- Famous for: Serenity, Beauty
- Entrance Fee:50 per adult and Rs.25 per child. Rs.90 per person for foreigners
- Visiting Time: 8 AM to 5 PM
- Visit Duration: 2 hours to 3 hours
Situated in the serene and lush green location of Vellarimala, the majestic Soochippara waterfalls are one of the largest in the alluring state of Kerala. Also, known as the Sentinel Rock waterfalls, this has got water dropping from a height of about 200 meters and is one of the prime sources of tourist attraction in Wayanad. The ambience of the vibrant tourist spot, with the clean environment and the sound of water which echoes all around provides an inviting break from the hectic and scheduled life style. The falls can be reached only by walking through a path which has been made for the visitors and can be reached about 2 kilometers after parking one’s vehicle. The walk complemented by the great scenic views which include plantations and which finally results in the waterfall is one which has got to be witnessed indeed.
- The walk from the parking spot to the waterfalls is quite long and is not for people who do not like trekking.
- Also wear comfortable footwear during the trek.
- The rocks can be slippery, so take care to avoid any injury.
Things to Do
- Enjoy the scenic and dazzling view of nature at its extreme beauty.
- Take a dip in the spot where the water falls from a great height and relax within the calmness of the pure water.
- Get the adrenaline pumping by taking the long trek towards the falls, which has got tea and coffee plantations along the well cobbled pathway.
- Nature photography, with the splendid backdrop is another reason to visit this picturesque location and carry out this activity.
- Spend some time visiting local eateries to taste authentic food of this part of Kerala.
- Get out shopping to find out the local products and also to shop for some souvenirs from the trip.
- Rock climbing is another activity which is carried out here for adventure enthusiasts.
- Since the location is also covered with dense forests, try to trek within the forest region.
- Drop a visit to one of the many tree top huts which are present nearby and learn about the simplicity of the construction, while spending a night in them.
Availability of Guides
Since this is just a location to relax by within the arms of nature and has not got much of a history, there is no necessity of guides to visit the spot.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit would indeed be the monsoon time when the waterfall has got plenty of water gushing through it, during the months of September to October. Visiting during the summer months of May to June would indeed provide a relief from the heat wave which strikes most of the other parts of the country, but that is a time when the waterfall will not show its full potential and can also be closed by the authorities.
How to Reach
The Soochippara falls are located at about 25 kilometers from Kalpetta. The falls can be reached by plenty of options like cabs or cars, as well as by buses. Located at a distance of about 15 kilometers from the nearest town of Meppadi, this spot is easily reachable. The nearest railway station is at Thalasseri at about 80 kilometers away while the closest airport is the Calicut airport which is about 140 kilometers away.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about Soochippara Waterfalls
- The prime reason for the water to fall with such great force is that it is a three-tiered waterfall.
- The name of the waterfall literally translates to needle like rocks through which the water gushes out.
- The dense forest contains a multitude of tree species like deciduous and evergreen trees.
- The water from the falls then meanders along a pathway to finally join the Chaliyar River.
- The visitors who enter the falls are checked thoroughly for plastic as the falls are a plastic free conservational zone.
- Coffee Groove Restaurant
- Jubilee Restaurant
- Deepak Martin
- The Wayanad Gate
- Clay Hut
- Kanthapara Waterfalls
- Puliyarmala Jain Temple
- Pakshipathalam Bird Sanctuary
- Wayanad wildlife Sanctuary
The perfect blend of nature with a rawness, which is intoxicating, makes the Soochippara waterfalls a great hit amongst the visitors who keep returning to this blissful location time and again.