- Famous For: Religion, Architecture, Photography
- Entry Fee: No fee is required.
- Visiting Time: 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily.
- Visiting Duration: 30 minutes to 1 hour
Built in 1894, the St. Francis Xavier Church is a remarkable monument standing on Subhas Chowk in Dalhousie, Himachal Pradesh. It is a remarkable structure symbolizing the true essence of Christianity. This church was funded by the Army officers and civilians to form a parish of their own in the beautiful hill station of Dalhousie. Ever since then, this church has been a standing witness to various historical ups and downs that are trapped in its age-old stone carvings. Hence, this church tells its own story to every traveler and pilgrim to who set foot on the winding streets of Dalhousie.
- Wear your Sunday best while going to the church even if you do not follow the religion of Christianity.
- Avoid wearing black clothes.
- In case you forget to take candles along with you, you can buy them from the tiny, little shops outside the church gate.
- If you want to attend the Sunday mass, be there on time.
Things to Do There
- Offer your prayers to the Almighty.
- Observe the beautiful chandeliers and the stone structure.
- Look through the colourful Belgian glass adorned on every wall to view Dalhousie in the form of a rainbow.
- Take a turn at photography except during the time of the mass. Keep track of the restricted zones so that you do not make the mistake of trying to click a photograph there.
- Let the choir’s music flow through your heart and mind to make you feel peaceful and rejuvenated.
Availability of Guides
There are no guides to help you out. However, you can talk to the Father himself or the nuns and the priests to find out more about this rectory if you feel inquisitive.
Best Time to Visit
You can visit the church any time during the year as per your choice of season and convenience.
How to Reach the Place
Getting to Subhas Chowk using either the public or the private transport is not that difficult luckily. After getting off at Subhas Chowk, you can easily ask around your way to the majestic church. Even if you are not able to ask your way around because of not being able to speak the local language, you can easily take a look around and you will immediately spot the massive structure of the gorgeous church.
Interesting Facts About the St. Francis Catholic Church, Dalhousie
- It was funded entirely y the army officials and the civilians.
- It was constructed as per the British form of architecture. Thus, bears a huge resemblance with many of the Catholic churches of Great Britain.
- It has a beautiful incarnation of intricate stone structures.
- The colourful Belgium glass decorations throw a pattern of beautiful colours when the sunlight peeps through them.
- The rectory called the ‘Alverna’ is adjacent to the church where the rector lives. Among the local people, the rectory is called ‘Lambe Chole Wale Padri Ki Kothi’.
- Subhas Baoli
- John’s Church
- Upper Bakrota
- Ganji Pahadi
- Jandri Ghat
- Sher e Punjab
- Dawat Restaurant
- Moti Mahal Deluxe
- Kwality Restaurant
- Punjabi Rasoi
- Alps Restaurant
St. Francis Catholic Church is a marvel of its own. It is one of those churches in India where the ancient Catholicism is practiced wholeheartedly. This church has held the people of Dalhousie together by binding them not just in terms of religion, but, also in terms of fraternity and livelihood. The St. Francis Catholic Church can be called the pillar of the innocent livelihood of the people of Dalhousie and also the protector of the surrounding flora and fauna. Thus, this place deserves that every tourist pays a visit and enjoy the serenity and warmth beneath these cold, stone walls. Hence, the St. Francis Catholic Church is a must visit for all.