- Famous For: Edifice of spiritual significance for practitioners of Integral Yoga, Individual silent concentration centre, Learning a new way of life and living.
- Entrance Fee: There is no entry fee for visiting the chambers of this Concentration Centre however, you have to make a prior booking.
- Visiting Time: Information or very general queries can be sought at the Information Desk at the Visiting Centre from 9am to 5pm excluding the time between 1pm to 1:30pm. To procure passes for concentration, Monday to Saturday from 9am to 4pm and Sundays from 9:00am to 1pm is when you need to come. Sunday afternoons are closed for pass procurement while Tuesdays are closed for bookings. Except Tuesdays, bookings have to be made in person between 10am to 11am or 2pm to 3pm. Rainy days are off for visiting.
- Visiting Duration: Concentration time in the Inner Chamber is from 9:35 to 10:05am, last entry at 9:45. While concentration time in the Petal Meditation Rooms are from 9:30AM to 10:45AM. Apart from this the area around is free to explore and experience for as long.
- The Centre was built for concentration purposes of the people visiting hence they expect you to treat the place with the apt amount of respect and understanding.
- They vouch that this place shouldn’t be visited with the purpose of mere tourism and a certain kind of physical and mental state is essential.
- Prior booking for accessing the Matrimandir is a must, and by at least a day in advance.
- There is no provision of making bookings through an agent or a tour guide, your presence is essential. Group bookings are not entertained.
- By common experience, the booking usually gets filled two days prior. So, make your plans accordingly. Having said that, bookings cannot be made for more than a week in advance.
- From the Visitor’s Centre to the Viewing Point is an approximately 1km walk spread out amongst a forest-like garden. This is the area you can walk around in and enjoy if you forget to make bookings in advance!
- Do not take valuables along with you, like cameras, phones, expensive bags, etc. They want you in your true pure sense to imbibe most of out of the experience.
- Outside of the area called as Park of Unity, clicking pictures is prohibited.
- Anyone belonging to the Media fraternity has to obtain permission in advance for filming/photography from email@example.com .
- One of the most important rules to be followed is of cleanliness and sanctity when visiting and staying in the Petal rooms or for that matter any crevice of Matrimandir. Avoid touching the structures and keep away unclean garments.
- Parents of children below 10 years of age cannot bring in their kids with them according to the policy.
- Pin drop silence is to be maintained inside the Matrimandir and its meditation rooms.
- On rainy days, all bookings will be canceled.
- Entry is not allowed after 9AM at the Visitor Gate and after 9:45AM at the Chambers.
Things to Do
- Book an appointment for the concentration centre and learn to experience the lifestyle here.
- Find who you truly are by sitting in silence and concentrating -shun all religions, prior beliefs, meditation procedures- just sit in silence with all of yourself.
- In case you think seeking your consciousness uninteresting for the while, you can revel in the 1km plus walk from the Visitor’s Centre to the Viewing point lush with forest trees and amazing flora and fauna.
Availability of Guides
Throughout your visit, there’ll be people to guide you through your course. In case you’re here for a few hours, you can get in touch with Inside India (Tel: +91413 2622047, 2622555). And If you’re staying for about a week, consider the Auroville Guest Service to help you out.
Best Time to Visit
The place experiences hot summers for most of the year, hence visiting during October to March would be best suited.
How to Reach
Take an auto or bus to reach the East Coast Road Junction once inside Pondicherry.
The nearest airport is Chennai Airport. Take a road trip from Chennai to Pondicherry or catch a train till Guindi Station and then take a bus for Pondicherry, ECR Road.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About the Brihadeeswara Temple
- Mirra Alfassa, known to the followers as The Mother, and the spiritual collaborator of Shri Aurobindo spoke in June 1965 of her intention to construct such a town.
- As decided, a lone Banyan tree is the geographical centre of the town of Auroville.
- Existence,Consciousness,Bliss,Light,Life,Power, Wealth,Utility,Progress,Youth,Harmony,Perfection are the names of the 12 Gardens of Matrimandir.
- There is the most pious Crytal Globe that sits inside the Chamber that has been there since 27-4-91, 9:45AM. It is also the largest optically glass globe in the world.
- The Auroville Beach
- The Paradise Beach
- The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
- Sri Aurobindo Ashram
- Kerala Ayurveda
- La Villa
- Kofi Bar
- Samarpan Guest House
On whichever walk of life, you are, a stay in this amusing golden domed building with completely white interiors that exude brilliant peace, stability and rejuvenation like none other. It is an experience you cannot deny yourself of. Rightly called the ‘Soul of the City’ reignite with your consciousness, here.