- Famous for: Serenity, Antiquity, Beauty
- Entrance Fee: No fee for this public place
- Visiting Time: Sunrise to Sunset
- Visit Duration: 3 hours to 4 hours
Thangaserry which literally translates into the ‘golden village’, is a serene location present at about 5 kilometers away from the city of Kollam in the state of Kerala. Adorned with dainty historical landmarks all over it and outlined by the alluring beach, this is the perfect spot to explore and relax. With forts and buildings which were built during the Portuguese and the Dutch rule and also an amazing lighthouse which warns of the dangers of the coastal line, this place has a plethora of options to keep you busy with its history and architecture. Also, housing the Kollam Port, this place is always vibrant with its maritime activities and is a sight to behold indeed. The three-kilometer-long beach is another prime attraction which provides the perfect serene ambience to get into the holiday spirit.
- Wear comfortable footwear to roam around all the spots in the region and to walk through the beach.
- The climate is quite humid so drink lots of water to keep up with the dehydration.
Things to Do
- Relax at the beach and swim around in the inviting waters.
- Visit the famed and breathtaking Infant Jesus Church which was built in the Portuguese architectural style.
- Also explore the ruins of the forts which were built during the times of the Portuguese and the Dutch reign.
- Another prime attraction is the majestic lighthouse which stands tall and offers a soul-stirring view of the entire town of Kollam from that height.
- Try out many new activities like scuba diving and surfing to get that adrenaline pumping.
- Go out deep sea fishing and learn about the process of how fishes are caught.
- Enjoy the amazing sunset and sunrise on the Thirumallavaram beach.
- Shop for souvenirs in the local markets around the beach as well as in the town of Kollam.
- Try out the beachside eateries which represent the authentic taste of the region.
Availability of Guides
Guides are available for a certain fee who can take you around the location and explain the history of the various structures and forts. They will also guide you through the best times to visit certain places in the area.
Best Time to Visit
Due to the proximity of the coast, the region is very humid and experiences a tropical climate. The summers hence are really hot and can be tiring to roam around. To best enjoy the total experience, it is better to visit during the winter months of November to February as the climate is milder and more pleasant.
How to Reach
The town of Thangaserry is just about 5 kilometers from Kollam which is a well-connected city and has got plenty of bus options and its own railway station. The closest airport is present at the capital, Trivandrum, which is at a distance of about 70 kilometers away from Kollam and has a good network of flights with other cities like Chennai, Mumbai and Delhi.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Thangassery
- The name comes from the fact that in the ancient days the method of trade was done through gold.
- The region is famous for its cashew plantations.
- It was a site which saw the occupation of the Portuguese, Dutch and the British owing to its vibrant culture and resources.
- An important historical structure is the Portuguese Fort which has been given special importance by the Archaeological Survey of India.
- The majestic lighthouse which serves as a warning to the sea folk of the treacherous rocks, stands about 144 feet tall and is open to visitors.
- The cross which resides on top of the Infant Jesus Church has the distinction of being one of the largest in the world.
- Hotel Guruprasad
- Sri Ayyapa Punjabi Food and Andhra Meals
- The Whispering Winds
- Kedar Restaurant Sudarsan
- Kollam Adventure Park
- Paravur Lake
- Mahatma Gandhi Beach
- Sri Krishnasvamy Temple
The location of Thangassery is the perfect holidaying spot as it has options for people looking for totally different experiences. The rich culture and history add to the allure of the quaint location making it a place to be visited and experienced by adventure seekers.