- Famous for: Architecture, Photography, Religion.
- Entrance Fee: Adults: Rs.170, Children: Rs.100, Senior Citizens: Rs.125.
- Visiting Time: 10:30AM to 6:00PM.
- Visit Duration: 6 to 7 hours.
On the banks of Yamuna, resides the majestic Akshardham – the prestigious monument of the Swaminarayan Akshardham sect. which takes you on a reviving spiritual journey into the very heart of India’s rich cultural ethos. Hinduism always did have the power to assimilate anything and everything into its cradle and Akshardham is the epitome of its legacy.
- Make sure you have all your necessary ID proofs with you. You might need it to gain access to the temple complex.
- Make sure that you don’t leave behind your litter. Plastic is strictly forbidden inside the Akshardham complex.
- Hefty fine will be charged for any damage brought to the relics in the Temple Complex.
Things to Do
- The Akshardham foundation itself has offered quite a lot to entertain its guests. From water dance to a full-fledged theatre to transport people into the glorious ancient past, Akshardham has it all.
- Spend a few soulful hours with the mystic chants in the air and listen to the beautiful hymns; or take a dip in the surrounding lake.
- The theatre inside the Mandir is quite an engaging trip and gives you a fresh perspective on life.
- The boat ride in the lake of the Akshardham Temple Lake is 15mins of pure and unlimited fun.
Availability of Guides
But, once inside the Akshardham Complex you won’t require a guide, since the staff ensures that you are in safe hands. You can quite easily avail them right off from the streets in Delhi. But I would not advise this as there might be a high chance of inconveniences later on. However, if you insist on availing a guide then pick someone registered with the official tourism department at Delhi.
Best Time to Visit
The summer heat in Delhi is scorching but one good thing about this is that crowd would begin to retreat during this time of the year. The place would be less crowded and you can enjoy the place in all its beauty without any rush. But if you insist on the best climate to visit Delhi, then I guess it would be from July to October. This way you avoid the scorching heat and the jittering cold of Delhi; a perfect balance between the heat and the cold.
How to Reach
Located in the heart of the Nation’s capital, Akshardham is well connected with the rest of the country. If you are travelling by air, then you better book a flight to the Delhi Airport. It is only an hour’s drive from the airport to the temple complex. The Akshardham Metro Station is also quite a good option to reach the place. From the metro station; it is only a 3 kms to Akshardham complex. You can walk this distance or you can either hire a cab or jump onto a rickshaw to reach Akshardham.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Akshardham
- The most interesting feature of the Akshardham is that it was built entirely of pink sandstone– a personal legacy of Rajasthan.
- The temple is the perfect blend of all of India’s major architectural styles. It depends solely on the ancient scriptures on architecture like the Shilpa Sutras.
- The Akshardham Temple Complex is so vast that it takes at least 3 days to explore the temple complex in detail.
- There is not one piece of concrete used in the entire structure and it solely depends on its unique balance technique between various architectural elements.
- The Bharath Upavan is itself a botanical garden with an estimated 300 different varieties of rare plants and herbs. In addition to this the Garden pays homage to the Indian Freedom Struggle with its intricate sculptures of the Nation’s heroes.
- There is a research Centre associated with the Akshardham Foundation known as the Akshardham Centre for Applied Research in Social Harmony. It has helped in preserving the traditional knowledge systems of the country and also in imparting academic and research opportunities for those meritorious few.
- Humayun’s Tomb
- Qutub Minar
- Qutub Complex
- Raj Ghat
- Raj Path
- Purana Qila
- National Gandhi Museum
- Premvati Food Court
- Mantoo’s Café
- Bubble Tea Café
- Gola Sizzlers
- Shiv Agarwal Sweets Corner
- Haldiram’s Restaurant
- Mojo Terrace
- Aka Saka
If you crave for a change from your hectic routine life and wish to escape into pure bliss, then Akshardham is your ideal spot. The activities offered by Akshardham echoes the cultural legacy of India’s past and it is a tour right into the heart of the country which is indeed quite educating and reviving. The air is always resonating chants and it is indeed a revitalizing journey into the ethos of India’s rich cultural legacy.