- Famous For: Architecture, Tourism, Experience seekers and Photography.
- Entrance Fee: No entry fee is charged to tourists or visitors here.
- Visitng Time: One can visit on all days of the week from 7 A.M. to 6 P.M.
- Visit Duration: Approximately 1.5 hours.
Located in the narrow lane of Hailey road, Agrasen Ki Baoli is a renowned monument that is visited by tourists from all parts of the country. It is maintained by the Archaeological Survey of India and one might be familiar with its haunted stories. It is undoubtedly a must visit spot and for good enough reasons. Know more about this place in this article.
- During the summer months, Delhi heat is almost unbearable. Carry a scarf or umbrella. Carry your sunglasses too for protecting the eyes.
- Wear comfortable clothes that will make your trip fun and free of tension.
- There is a lot of area to cover so you might feel thirsty. Stay hydrated by carrying lots of water or any drink of your choice. You can also choose to carry a little dry food.
- Littering the place is an offence and strictly prohibited. Keep the structure clean and do not leave any plastic bags behind.
- Be careful while climbing the steps. Do not let the children run around.
Things to Do
- Delhi, especially the Janpath Market which is very close to the Agrasen ki Baoli is famous for its street shopping. You will find the place filled with people all trying to bargain and get their hands on amazing items. Clothes, bags, shoes, jewellery- you will get it all.
- If you are a foodie and love tasting authentic cuisines, look around the nearby area. There are famous street shops that offer all sorts of items.
Availability of Guides
The best way to know more about Agrasen Ki Baoli is by looking it up on the internet as you cannot hire guides in this monument. There are various blog posts and articles that will give you detailed information about its history and legendary story.
How to Reach
Reaching Agrasen Ki Baoli is one of the most hassle-free tasks. Located at a distance of 1 kilometre from the New Delhi station, you can take an auto or a rikshaw to this place.
From the Indira Gandhi International Airport, it is about 14 kilometres away. From here you can avail the bus or taxis.
The place is also very close to 3 metro stations including the Cannaught Place and the Janpath Metro station. Reaching this monument is very convenient.
Best Time to Visit
Most part of the year, the capital of the country is all heated up. The temperature during the summer months is extreme and not meant for tourists and sight-seeing. So, it is safe to say that between the months of October and March is the best time to take a tour of this wonderful place. There are loads monuments and places to visit in Delhi. Spring and winter are very pleasant.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Agrasen Ki Baoli
- It was built during the Maharashtra Era by Maharaja Agrasen.
- The primary element used to build this well was red sandstone.
- The place was constructed to serve as a reservoir of water in the earlier times.
- The Agrasen Ki Baoli is often claimed to be the house of evil spirits. Locals say that the place is haunted because many people have tried to commit suicide here. The depressed souls gave up their lives by jumping into the well.
- The term ‘Baoli’ refers to a well that is used to store water and could be reached by climbing down a series of steps.
- There is a dilapidated mosque in the western end of this structure.
- A recent film in Bollywood (‘PK’) starring Aamir Khan was shot in this monument.
- American Centre Library
- Meghdoot Theatre
- Gallery 7
- Kendriya Art Gallery
- Jantar Mantar
- India Gate
- Bijoli Grill
- The Grill
- Coffee Day Express
- Bhagat Ji Dilli Wale
- Sura Vie
Delhi is famous for being the house of a number of famous monuments in the country. Before going to Delhi, make a list of the ones you can cover in your trip. It is a must to visit Agrasen Ki Baoli because you do not want to miss out on this opportunity.