- Famous for: photography, scenery, hiking, trekking, hill station, paragliding etc.
- Entrance Fee: No entrance fees
- Visiting Time: no specific timings
- Visit Duration: 3 to 4 hours
The cool breeze slowly kisses your cheeks and whisper stories from places far and beyond; of the lingering smell of spices in the air and nothing but rolling meadows, peaks, and narrow winding paths for as far as you can see. What more do you want to plan the perfect vacation? You must be wondering as to which place I am referring. It is non-other than Kerala, Thekkady- the pristine and quiet hill station in Kerala, is bordered by the majestic Western Ghats. Here, nature runs wild and cannot be tamed by human hands. Following are the things one must keep in mind before visiting Murikkady in Kerala.
- Whenever you are travelling, it is important that you have all necessary documents with you. So, make sure you have packed all the necessary ID proofs.
- Make sure you have packed comfortable clothes. When on a trip, I would always suggest for you to pack comfortable clothes chosen accordingly to the season in which you have planned the trip.
- Now, I don’t think I need to remind you that you must pack handy medicines especially if you are on .
- Also, don’t forget to carry a handy first aid kit with you. Bandages can come in handy especially if you are into trekking and hiking. It is all part of the fun.
- This is simply something that you won’t normally forget to pack, but this is a reminder just in case you forget. There will be plenty to click so keep that camera charged and ready!
- Bring on your adventure spirit. A trip might not always turn out as you have expected. A lot of things can go right and some can turn out to be unexpectedly wrong. So, you need to be prepared for any change of events.
Things to Do
- There are no direct trains to Thekkady and the distance between Thekkadi and the nearest airport and railway station is at least more than 50 kms. You can hire a private cab and turn this distance into the road trip of your life. The views offered by this petite hill station are unparalleled in its beauty.
- The lingering smell of spices in the air is enticing enough to lure people into its cradle. Take a walk around these picturesque plantations.
- Just pack your favourite snack and head out for a picnic in the beautiful tea gardens of Murikkady, inhaling in the wonderful blend of scents; of tea, coffee, oranges, cardamom and plenty more.
- If you haven’t undertaken a trekking expedition, then you would not get the complete experience of Thekkady. You can choose from a wide range of trekking trails right from challenging to medium to easy treks. That is the beauty of Thekkady. The trek to Murikkady view point is yet another attraction and it is unparalleled in scenic beauty which God has blessed with such abundance.
- Murikkady is only 5 kms away from Thekkady. You must definitely go for a boating expedition, in the Thekkadi Lake. You can choose between speed boating and normal boating according to your interests.
- The Murikkady view point is a favourite of Para gliders, especially because it is a perfect vantage point for take-off. It does help that the enthralling views are unparalleled in beauty. The trek to Murikkady view point is also famous among adventure enthusiasts because the trekking expedition is ranked as a medium one, with views incomparable in beauty and majesty.
- Pay a visit to the local spice market and spice up your life with the natural grown wonders which have always put Kerala at a vantage point in trade maps.
Availability of Guides
It is always good if you have a guide with you. One who knows the terrain well and is well versed in the local culture and traditions can help you gain the most out of the trip. This would really help in a place like Thekkady which is an explorer’s paradise. If you have planned your trip with a tour agency then providing you with an expert guide is their responsibility. If you have charted out the trip by yourself, then I guess you have to pick out the guide by yourself. But instead of picking a guide just randomly, I advise you to avail the expertise of a guide from the official tourism office at Thekkady. This would ensure that you are in safe hands and would reduce the risk of inconveniences later on in your trip.
Best Time to Visit
Kerala is one of those rare places where you can visit at any time of the year. This year-round destination packs a load of fun, no matter what the season. The summer season in Kerala generally extends from March to May and the temperature can extend as high as 35 degree Celsius. The monsoon in Kerala falls in two phases. The first monsoon season will be from June and lasts up to the month of August. The second phase of monsoon falls from October to November. The winter usually begins in December and extends till the month of February. So, as you have guessed the best time to visit Murikkady is after the onset of winters. You can also visit the place in the summers as it is the perfect getaway from the heat waves. But recent climatic changes have led to temperature changes and slight variations in the pattern of weather conditions. So, I would suggest for you to check the climate before you plan your trip. Anyways the winters are fairly pleasant and welcoming. Just make sure you avoid the place in the monsoons. The rains can hinder your chances of exploration.
How to Reach
Unfortunately, or due to good fortune, there are no direct trains to Thekkady. You can book tickets to Kottayam Railway Station, which is only 60 kms away from Thekkady. This distance can be easily traversed. You can either hire a private cab or you can avail the local transportation facilities. The nearest airport to Thekkady is Cochin International Airport, which is connected by international and domestic flights from all over the world. The distance between Cochin International Airport and Thekkady can be estimated at 135 kms. Buses frequent the route from Kottayam to Thekkady since this hill station is a famous tourist destination.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about Murikkady
- Murikkady is only situated a mere 5 kms away from the central town and it is the most easily accessible hill top in Thekkady.
- Historical records have always attested to the trade links between coastal Kerala and other civilisations. This trade link can be traced back to the ancient times.
- The land has been well known for its spices since ancient times and one glimpse at the place and you will know why. The coffee and tea plantation which extends for large acres of land is not a specialty because it is common to all villages in Thekkady. What makes Murikkady special is that it also harbours a huge variety of spices as well.
- Murikkady is home to a large number of tea and coffee plantations owned by corporate giants.
- There are at least 15 varieties of tea being planted here.
- Murikkady is home to huge varieties of spices like cardamom, clove, black pepper, nutmeg, cumin and plenty more.
- The Murikkady Market is famous for its spice trade. People travel far and wide to get their hands on these rare and exotic varieties of spices. They also procure high value in international markets especially in the British Islands.
Every single spot in Thekkady is a preferred tourist spot with each place offering something in return. Here is a list of some of the must visit sites in and around Murikkady.
- Periyar Lake
- Mangala Devi Temple
- Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary
- Bamboo Grove Point
Thekkady being an international tourist hub provides mouth-watering cuisines for its visitors. You can refresh your palate and indulge in the spicy cuisines of Thekkady at some of these eat outs.
- Bamboo Café
- Grandma’s Café
- Our Place Restaurant
- Abraham’s Spice Garden
- Thekkady Café
- Dosa De Thekkady
- Ebony’s Café
- Coffee Garden
- Pizza Max
- Edens Restaurant
No matter how much ever you don’t like the outdoors, you are in for a definite change of perspective. The beauty of the rolling hills, covering the vast landscapes like a green blanket is unparalleled and irreplaceable. This exquisite beauty is an experience to die for. The lingering smell of tea, coffee, spices and exotic fruits in the air is a siren call for all those who crave for a change from their monotonous lives. Besides the opportunity to dive head first into adventure sports and to indulge in some challenging activities is a welcome change for both mind and soul. The best part about Murikkady is that it offers something in return even for the most novice adventure enthusiasts.