- Famous for: Coastline, Natural Beauty, Solitude, Bird watching
- Entrance Fee: Free of charge
- Visiting Time: Open round the clock
- Visit Duration: 2 to 3 hours
Towards the middle of the cluster of the Andaman Islands, lies the island of Rangat. The Amkunj Bay Beach in Rangat forms one of the major attractions on the island, along with Moorys Dare and Panchvati Hills. This beach is a rocky black sand beach that is unlike any others you would see in popular tourist brochures. Yet, this beach is the perfect place if you are looking for solitude and peace away from the loud hordes of tourists that are a common sight at other beaches on the islands. The beach has been recently revamped as a nature park and now has a number of facilities for tourists as well as locals.
- There are not many shops in the area, so carry your food along if you wish to have a picnic here.
- Take care before you get all excited and go for a swim. Though the waters here are shallow, the beach has a rocky shoreline so the place to swim has to be chosen carefully.
- Amkunj Bay Beach does not offer any of the water sports of activities that other Andaman beaches are famous for.
- Carry sunscreen and sunglasses while visiting here in summers to avoid sunburns.
Things to Do
- Swim through the shallow emerald blue waters at the beach.
- Sit in the quiet solitude and sunbathe for as long as you like on the undisturbed sands.
- This vast beach would invite you to take a walk as the evening sun sets down into the sea, do not miss the opportunity.
- Snorkelling is also an option at the Amkunj Bay Beach.
- Explore and observe the exotic birds and the mangrove trees that line the beach.
- Visit the nearby Dhani Nallah and the Cutbert Bay Beach.
Availability of Guides
A number of guided tours are available in the Andamans. Yet, many of them do not include the Amkunj Bay Beach. You can choose to visit the beach by yourself as it is quite easy to reach here from the Andaman Trunk Road.
Best Time to Visit
October to March is the best time to visit the Andaman Islands and the beaches here. The weather is pleasant at this time and you can save yourself from the scorching tropical summers.
How to Reach
The Amkunj Bay Beach is situated on the way to Mayabunder from Rangat. It is half an hour away from Rangat, and just five minutes away from the Nimbuthala Helipad. You can hire a taxi from the Rangat Jetty, or take a small detour from the ATR to reach here.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Amkunj Bay Beach
- The beach has a number of eco-friendly amenities like benches made of dead logs, eco-huts, log teapoys, and grooves.
- The tree grooves on the beach attract educational and research tourists due to the exotic varieties of the trees present here.
- Cutbert Bay Beach
- Moorys Dare
- Dhani Nallah Mangrove Nature Walkway
- Panchvati Hills
- Yerrata Mangrove Park
- Yerrata Creek
- Hotel Priya International
Whether you want to spend some time in a beautiful place with no one but your loved ones, or if solitude is more of your thing, Amkunj Bay Beach is the place to be. Often overlooked due to other popular tourist destinations around the Andamans, this beach is a hidden gem waiting to be explored.