- Famous for: tropical getaway, photography, monuments, adventure sports
- Entrance Fee: no entrance fee
- Visiting Time: no specific time
- Visit Duration: 2-3 days
The Mayabunder County is famous for its mangrove creeks and village hamlets, adorned with thick forestry and lush green dales. Once you reach the Mayabunder County, you are in for a surprise because every nook and cranny of the place is a tourist attraction in itself. The Austin X Island is yet another pride of the Mayabunder County.
- Make sure you carry comfortable clothes and dress accordingly to the season.
- You should carry a first-aid kit with you at all times especially if you are travelling with your kids.
- You should also pack all handy medicines.
- You should also make sure that you have valid ID proofs with you as some tourist attractions demand ID proofs and the like.
Things to Do
- You can feed and pamper the deers that come out to drink water. This is not a rare spotting in the Austin X group of Islands and you will be surprised as to how tamed and friendly these deers are.
- You can go for deep sea-walking, snorkelling, scuba-diving and pearl hunting in the pristine open seas of the Austin X Islands.
- Plan a picnic with your loved ones in one of the lush mangrove dales of the Islands.
Availability of Guides
It is much riskier to randomly pick off someone from the streets as this can cause inconveniences later on. Hence, it is always advisable to hire someone who has prior experience or to consult with a tour agency prior to your visit to the Islands. Tour guides can be availed from the Official Tourism Office at the Mayabunder County.
Best Time to Visit
Avoid the raging monsoons because the sea can be a mean enemy and all your plans of indulging in some water-fun activities can go up in smoke. So, you better clear your calendar for the months from May to August as this is the summer season in the Andamans. Summer has that power over the Islands which can make the place more revitalising and ever so bursting with life.
How to Reach
You can reach Mayabunder by road or by ship. It is best and a whole lot less tiresome if you are travelling via ship. The Austin X Island is only half hour’s drive away from the local dock of Mayabunder. From here you can hire a private boat or can access the ferry which frequents these waters.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about Austin X Island
- It is one of the lesser known attractions in the county of Mayabunder.
- The Austin X Island is home to some wonderful orange plantations.
- The island has one of the most challenging and unexplored trekking trails in the entire group of Islands.
- The Austin X Island is eco-friendly a typical feature of all the Islands in the Mayabunder County.
- The place is adorned with rich forestry, thick vines, mangrove creeks and a wide variety of flora and fauna.
- The Austin X Island is also a small fishing village.
- Forest Museum
- Mayabunder local jetty
- Avis Island
- Austin Creek
- Interview Island
- German Jetty
- Rampur Beach
- Karmatang Beach
- Anmol Driftwood Museum
The Mayabunder County is not exactly a village that showcases its culinary prowess. Usually the Resorts in which you stay will provide you food along with accommodation. Here are some humble restaurants that provide you with some good food; their location is not exactly in Austin X, but are scattered around the Mayabunder region.
- Anmol Guest House
- Sea’n Sand
- Hawksbill Nest Resort
- The Nest Restaurant
- APWD Guest House
The Austin X Island is comparatively an isolated Island and its people are more introvert and silent, than in any other part of the Island. It is the perfect haven for those who prefer some privacy in their lives far away from the prying eyes of modernity.