- Famous for: photography, adventure trips, eco-tourism, villages.
- Entrance Fee: No entrance fee
- Visiting Time: No special timings
- Visit Duration: Half to one day
The county of Mayabunder is a gem tucked away in the heart of Andaman tourism. Right from Complex Sports Centers to rustic hamlets, Maya Bunder has it all. Ray Hill is the prestigious pride of Andaman & Nicobar Islands Forest & Plantation Development Corporation Ltd and is definitely their most successful project. This eco-village is a haven of virgin woods adorned with pristine waterways.
- Make sure you have valid ID proofs with you.
- Carry handy medicines and a first-aid kit with you.
- You should book ahead if you want to stay in this eco-village. You can plan your trip with an expert tourist agency or you can directly consult with the Andaman Tourism Office.
Things to Do
- When was the last time you packed some foodies and enjoyed a day out in the open sun with your loved ones? If you can’t remember then you must definitely plan a picnic. Then Ray Hill is a wonderful choice.
- Ride an elephant in style through the narrow winding paths, amidst mangrove creeks and tall trees.
- Go for a trekking expedition and explore the unmapped tracks of Ray Hill.
- The Ray Hill Tourism offers you the option to choose between lots of fun filled activities. It is a part of the complete Ray Hill experience.
Availability of Guides
I would never recommend just randomly picking some guide from the streets, because there is a high chance of this creating inconvenience later on. So, it is always best to book with the official tourism office at Andamans or to consult with an experienced tour agency.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit the Andamans would be in the summer as the entire island comes alive with some heat! The onset of winters is also a good option. Just avoid the monsoons in the Andamans because the raging sea just destroys your chances of some water fun.
How to Reach
The Maya Bunder Island is located at a distance of 245 kms from Port Blair via the Andaman Trunk Road, if you prefer travelling by road. Since this can be a bit tiring I would recommend for you to cover the distance between Port Blair and the county cruise. This is not only less wearisome but it also gives you the complete experience of the beauty of the Island.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about Ray Hill, Mayabunder
- There are currently 42 villages in the Maya Bunder County and Ray Hill is one among them.
- Maybunder houses some of the most beautiful and eco -friendly environments in the entire Andaman Islands.
- Ray Hill is the brain child of Andaman & Nicobar Islands Forest & Plantation Development Corporation Ltd- a public sector undertaking under the auspices of the Government of India.
- It is only a 15 minutes’ drive from the Mayabunder pier and is of course well connected by waterways.
- The corporation set up in 1977, has succeeded in preserving the delicate ecological balance and preservation of natural flora and fauna of the place.
- The Ray Hill is best suited for family getaways. This eco-village also offer fun filled adventurous escapades.
- Austin X Island
- Chidiya Tapu
- Chidiya Tapu Ecological Park
- Samudrika Marine Museum
- Zonal Anthropological Museum
- Avis Island
- Forest Museum
- Karmatang Beach
- Mangrove Creeks
- Pokhadhara Adventure Sports Complex
- Anmol Driftwood Museum
Now this is a difficult one, because the Mayabunder County lacks in restaurants when compared to the other regions of the Andamans. There are numerous stalls and small shops in the Mayabunder County. Other than this, you can avail good food from the Resorts in the Island.
- Hawksbill Nest Resort
- The Nest Restaurant
- APWD Guest House
- Anmol Guest House
- Sea’n Sand
Breathe in fresh air away from the drags of modern day life and you will be surprised as your very being changes to something more elegant and pure. The Ray Hills in the Andamans is a wonderful haven for those who crave for some change in their monotonous life. Trust me; the village has something i.e. pure and quite special. The village is blessed with healing powers; both for your body and your soul.