- Famous For: Outdoor activities, wildlife and nature
- Entrance Fee: On Regular Days: INR 20 (child) and INR 50 (adult), On Weekends and Govt. Holidays: INR 30 (child) and INR 60 (adult)
- Visiting Time: 8:30 AM TO 5:30 PM
- Visiting Duration: 2 hours
Mysore zoo is one of the largest and finest zoos in India. Spread over 3 km, the zoo has a wide variety of both the flora and the fauna kingdom. Every year it attracts millions of tourists and is one of the most sought after places in the whole South India. The zoo is very well maintained and gives you the joy to enjoy the unrestrained beauty of wildlife and nature.
- Have patience. Yes, it is very important to have patience. It is difficult to spot some animals and many of the visitors give up. But you should have patience. You are in one of the finest zoos in India and you can’t give up that easily. Once you are in the zoo, do understand and respect the animals and wait for them to show up.
- Do not litter the park. The zoo is very well maintained and it is imperative on our part also to not create rubbish. So beware, you may also get fined.
- If you are interested in watching different species of birds. Arrive as early as possible.
Things To Do
- Animal and bird watching are the commonest of all the activities done in a zoo.
- In less than 1 km distance are other places where you must go, like Royal Mysore Walks. This is a fun place for the people of all age. Then there is Gopalswamy Temple, an ancient structure with traditional sculptures of Mysore and of course a magnificent place to be in. The mall of Mysore is also only 500 ms away. You could easily catch this place and have some fun shopping at the mall.
Best Time To Visit
Since the animals hibernate for most if the times in winter and summers, the best time to visit woud abviously be the rainy season, around june to September. But inspite of this, the summer season also invites a range of fauna and other birds which migrate for a period.
Even if you pay your visit during the summers, make sure you go to the zoo before 12 noon or after 3PM because the animals don’t tend to move out during this time and mostly hid under their shelters. Whereas, they are fully active during the morning and the evening.
How To Reach
the zoo is just 3 km away from the main part of the city. State transport buses and taxis are easily available. Also if you happen to visit Mysore palace before coming here, you would get direct auto rickshaws to the zoo.
Interesting Facts And Trivia
- The official name of zoo is Sri Chamarajendra Botanical Garden. Sri Chamarajendra played a very crucial role in the making of the zoo, so to honorhim, the official name has been kept after him.
- By far, this is the only zoo in india which all the three species of Rhinos.
- The zoo celebrated its golden jubilee in 1992 and is an era old now.
- The zoo also undertake cross breeding as one of its main objectives and there are very few zoos in India which practise this.
- This zoo has the highest number of elephants in its shelter in India.
- Mysore Maharajah’s Palace
- Dasara exhibition ground
- Royal Mysore walks
- Mall of Mysore
- Himada Gopalswamy temple
- Karanji lake
- St Philomena’s Church
- Devraja Market
- Mysore Sand Sculpture Museum
- Gun house
- Chamundi Hill Bull Statue
- Sri Chamundeshwari temple
- Jaganmohan palace
- Railway Museum
- Somnathpur temple
- by the way multicuisine restaurant
- empire restaurant
- hotel original vinayaka mylari
- oyster bay
- green leaf
- infinit lounge, bar and fine dining
- barbeque nation
- hotel royal orchid metropole
- the terrace
Mysore zoo is one such place where you can see the untamed beauty of the wildlife and untouched divinity of the nature. With over 168 species of flora and fauna, you will meeting some such amazing wild friends, you would have never thought existed. The zoo quenches your thirst as a travler. The neat and clean atmosphere provides you the biosphere where you could easily interact the world you have only seen in photos. The natural way of calling out to the nature, Mysore Zoo it is.