- Famous For: Tourism, Coffee Plantations, Hill Station, Trekking
- Entry Fee: No entry fee. Moderate travel cost as it is a pocket-friendly tourist destination.
- Visiting Time: Mandalpatti is open to visitors from 6 AM in the morning till 6 PM in the evening during all days of the week.
- Visit Duration: Approximately four to five hours depending on the weather and thus road conditions. If you are an animal lover and a keen photographer, it might take you some extra time.
This hill station amidst the lap of nature is located near Madikeri, the headquarters of Coorg district. A historically rich town, Madikeri vsitors often land up at Mandalpatti View Point. It is a popular weekend getaway among the local revelers looking for respite from the hustle-bustle of the city life. The Mandalpatti hills are situated within 25- 30 km from Madikeri town.
- Do not litter the hill tops and the natural surroundings.
- Carry your own water and food items.
- There are no places to stay here, so maintain the visiting time.
- Keep yourself hydrated throughout the journey as it may leave you tired and exhausted.
- Remember to stick to the basics of trekking while climbing to avoid slip-ups.
Things to Do
- Visitors come with their families for weekend getaways and picnics atop the hill.
- Being open throughout the year, this place garners a lot of tourists for its scenic beauty.
- The Viewpoint is also a place to relax amidst the quiets of nature.
- Trekking is an easy available option for adventure seekers at this point.
- The Mandalpatti Viewpoint offers a panoramic view of the city and an absolute delight for click happy tourists.
Availability of Guides
Trekkers are guided by official guides who know the region well upon request. Local guides also scout the region looking for visiting patrons. One can avail the help of the forest officials at the checkpoint.
Best Time to Visit
It is best avoided during monsoons, as trekking or travelling uphill in the rainy season can be accident prone and risky. The ideal time is during the summer (March- June) given that the cool breeze atop the hill is soothing and refreshing. If one loves the cold mountain weather, winters are also an ideal time to visit the hill station as the temperature remains low and enjoyable.
How to Reach
There are two ways to visit Mandalpatti:
- Through the Abbi Falls Junctions (the shorter route)
- Through Makkanduru (the longer route)
Visitors usually visit Mandalpatti through Abbi Falls and return via Makkanduru. There are no railway stations in Mandalpatti.
The nearest railway terminals are Hassan, Kasaragod, Kanhangad, Kannur and Thalassery. The nearest airport for inbound tourists is Mangalore International Airport at Mangaluru. Thus, the easiest way is by road through Madikeri, however it is advisable to make arrangements for own transport. One can drive till a certain check-point within the forest and cover the rest 3km by trekking. Non-fans of trekking can also avail the jeep from the base point of Mandalpatti. The estimated cost per person is between INR 5000- 8,000 for an adult. The Jeep Cost for a group of 6 is INR 1500 and parking fee and viewpoint charges amount to INR 45.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about Mandalpatti View Point
- There are no shops in and around Mandalpatti View Point.
- It is considered a hidden gem of the Western Ghats.
- It is taken as an important trekking ground.
- The name Mandalpatti translates into head amidst the clouds or head touching the clouds owing to its elevation.
- Kanchi Kamakshi Temples
- Dubare Elephant Camp
- Brahmagiri Peak
- Raja’s Seat
- St, Mark’s Church
- Omkareshwar Temple
- Crown Bakery
- Sahara Restaurant
- Bean Scene Café
- East End Hotel
- The Falls at the Tamara Coorg
So, now that you have your complete guide to Mandalpatti and know what to do and when to go, make sure to visit here the next time you need an escape from your daily lifestyle. Even though reaching this picturesque place can prove to be a little challenging, it is definitely worth the effort and time. You can unwind, run about the luscious greenery and enjoy the way you envision it. Not to forget the beautiful sunset that makes the journey worthwhile.