- Famous For: Tourism, Christianity, Art, Painting, Chapel.
- Entrance Fee: The entry to this century old museum is free for people of all age from all the parts of the world.
- Visiting Time: the St. Aloysius Church remains open from 7.00 am to 7.00 pm on all the days of the year, including the public holidays.
- Visit Duration: Visit duration is close to an hour. However, you may have to spend a little more time if you want to attend a mass.
The St. Aloysius Church is a catholic church located in the central part of the city of Mangalore. It is one of the most visited tourist destinations is the city. Visitors from different parts of not only India but the whole of world come to witness the beautiful paintings on the wall of the church.
- Visiting the church during masses will be a huge bonus. The mass timings have been mentioned in the article. So, you can be a part of the mass and listen to some beautiful teachings.
- Pets are not allowed inside the church.
- Both still photography and video photography are allowed inside the church. So, it is advisable to carry your DSLRs and digital cameras to capture the exotic beauty of the church from behind the lenses.
Things to Do
- The mass schedule of the church is as follows:
Regular Mass: Vigil mass is held on Saturdays at 4.30 pm. On Sunday, masses are held at 7.00 am, 9.00 am, 11.00 am and 5.30 pm. On Monday, Mass is held at 6.00 am in Chapel while on Wednesday, mass is held at same time but in church. On Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, mass is held at 8.00 am in the morning.
Special Mass: Holy Day of Obligation masses are held at 6.00 am, 8.00 am, 12.00 pm and 6.00 pm without vigil. On Thanksgiving Day, mass is held at 8.00 am but it is not held on Friday. On Christmas Eve, the mass starts at 4.00 pm in the church and the Old Gym while the masses at 6.30 pm and 11.00 pm are held only at church. All the masses on the Christmas Eve are preceded by 30 minutes of instrumental and choral music. On Christmas Day, masses are held at 7.00 am, 9.00 am and 11.00 am. On Ash Wednesday, masses are held at 6.00 am, 8.00 am, 12.00 pm and 6.00 pm.
Reconciliation: On Monday and Wednesday, Reconciliation can be done immediately after the 6.00 am mass. While on Tuesday and Thursday, reconciliation can be done from 7.30 am to 8.00 am in the church. On Saturday, it can be done between 3.30 pm to 4.00 pm in the church.
- You may roam around the church to look at the beautiful wall paintings.
Availability of Guides
The people from inside the church will explain you about the history of the paintings if you are curious about it. If you want detailed knowledge on it, you may hire a guide from outside the church. However, guides are very rarely available.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit St. Aloysius Church in Mangalore is the winter season as winters are less humid and pleasant in the city.
Summers are hot and humid and should be avoided if possible. The rainy season is experienced between June and September and should be avoided.
How to Reach
If you are willing to take a flight, book at a ticket to Mangalore. The Mangalore Airport is close to 14 km away from the St. Aloysius Church. You can take a taxi or a cab from the airport to the church.
In case you are willing to travel by train, the nearest railway station is Mangalore Junction Railway Station which is just around 600 meters from this holy place. The second nearest Railway Station is Mangalore Central Railway Station which is around 1200 meters away from the church. You can either go by walking or take an auto from either of the two railway stations to Church.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About St. Aloysius Church
- The Church was built in 1885 by Reverend Father Joseph Wily. The initiative was taken by Italian Jesuits.
- The Church is dedicated to St. Aloysius Gonzaga, a rich young man who gave up his rich life to serve humanity.
- The walls of the church are painted with fresco and oil paintings.
- Italian Jesuit Antonio Moscheni did the beautiful paintings on the church walls. Most of the panels, walls and ceiling paintings show the life of St. Aloysius.
- Light House Hill Garden
- Central Market
- Liquid Lounge
- Milagres Church
- Kadri Hill Park
- Kudroli Gokarnath Temple
- Kadri Manjunath Temple
- Mahatma Gandhi Museum
- Dattarama Ayurdhama
- Brio Café and Grill
- Hotel Woodlands
- Kadal Restaurant
- Brick House
- London House
- Janatha Deluxe
- Shetty Lunch Home
- Liquid Lounge
- Mini Punjab’s Pind
- Hotel Prasad Restaurant
The St. Aloysius Church is definitely the pride of Mangalore. The paintings are so lively that it can easily deceive someone as a real scene. So, if you are anywhere near Mangalore, try to take out some time and pay a visit to this wonderful church.