- Famous for: Fun, Beauty, Adventure
- Entrance Fee: No entrance fee for this public spot
- Visiting Time: No particular timings
- Visit Duration: 3 hours to 4 hours
The Om Beach of Gokarna is one of the best places to have some great time in the state of Karnataka. Gokarna is a dainty town in the district of Uttara Kannada, which is famous for the temple of Lord Shiva. Shaped to resemble the sign for the letter ‘om’, this spot is widely visited by people looking forward to relax and have fun, especially by foreign tourists. The spot is vibrant and full of life with umpteen eateries which line the beach. The pleasant aura of this mesmerizing location is complemented by the plethora of activities which can be carried out here. There are also a lot of spots to just rejuvenate and relax away from the bustle of daily life. The refreshing water which lines the rocky terrain and white sands is a great way to get back in touch with nature.
- During the off season, there is only one eatery open at the location.
- Take care not to walk upon the broken glass pieces which can be found on the beach.
- Carry sunglasses, hats and sunscreens as a lot of time will be spent outdoors.
Things to Do
- Enjoy the silence of the serene location and its permeating calmness by resting on the beach or enjoying a banana ride with a group of friends.
- Get the adventure spirit rolling by trying out the jet skiing activity being offered here.
- Have a look at the coastline by hiring a speed boat to whiz past the azure waters.
- Trekking along the coastline and visiting all the beaches which adjoin this beach, like the Half Moon beach, is another popular tourist activity which is famous at this spot.
- Looking at dolphins which jump through the waters and taking some clicks is definitely something which should be looked into.
- Let the food buff in you have a great time by enjoying food and beverages at the various joints which line the beach for the benefit of tourists.
- Photograph to your heart’s content the splendid panorama of the charming location.
- Shop around at the small stalls to collect things of interest.
- Visit the famed Mahabaleshwar temple which is what the place is famed for.
Availability of Guides
This recreational spot does not require any sort of guidance and can be maneuvered easily throughout the visit.
Best Time to Visit
The area has got a typical tropical climate with hot and humid summers. The coastal area also experiences heavy rainfall during the monsoon months of June to September. Thus, the best time to visit the location and enjoy the pleasant climate would be from October to March. The evenings are the most preferred time of the day to visit the beach during the hot summers.
How to Reach
The nearest airport to this location is in Mangalore which is about 240 kilometers away. It has got its own railway station, with the trains from Mumbai or Goa to Mangalore passing through this station. The city is well connected through a system of buses from the major cities of Panaji, Mangalore and Bangalore. The beach, present at a distance of about 5 kilometers from the main city, can then be reached by hiring a cab or an auto. It has also got a good network of roads making it preferable to reach it through private vehicles.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about the Om Beach
- The crescent shape of the coastline is formed due to the confluence of the two rivers of Gangavali and Aghanashini.
- Gokarna is also known as the ‘Kashi of the South’ for its important temples and sites of pilgrimage.
- Safety lessons are conducted before allowing visitors for the bumped boat ride in the waters of the beach.
- Fishing is carried out here as a means of livelihood with the fishing village of Tadadi having its own fish processing plant.
- Plenty of house stays are available in the region to cater to the needs of the tourists.
- There are boat services available from this beach to the other beaches further along the way.
- Sea Longue
- Surya Café
- Namaste Café
- Om Shree Ganesh Restaurant
- The Dolphin View Restaurant
- Anshi National Park
- Paradise Beach
- Mahabaleshwar Temple
The dazzling location with its umpteen attractions and activities is a perfect spot to spend a totally fun-filled and well deserved holiday. The beauty of the place is definitely one to be experienced indeed.