- Famous For: Adventure, Scenery, Holidaying
- Entrance Fee:50 per person for adults and Rs.25 per person for children; an additional Rs.25 has to be paid per camera
- Visiting Time: Sunrise to Sunset (Except Monday)
- Visit Duration: 2 hours to 3 hours
For the perfect adventure filled trip, Jolly Buoy Island is the place to be visited at Port Blair in Andamans. Located near Wandoor, this island is a part of the Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park. With a large number of international and local tourists visiting this paradise on Earth, Jolly Buoy Island definitely offers the total package to experience a whole new side of life. The smooth sandy beach and the calm waters offer the right mood for relaxing and enjoying the allure of the place. One can get their adrenaline pumped by the plethora of adventure activities which are offered like snorkeling, scuba diving, swimming and glass bottom boating or just relax in the serenity of the panoramic shades of the place.
- Make sure that you are visiting on a clear day and steer clear of rainy days to have the best experience.
- Take care of your personal belongings once you reach the island and go out into the water.
- Drink a lot of water to remain hydrated throughout the trip.
- Carry extra clothes, food and water as nothing is available in this pristine location.
Things to Do
- Lay back and enjoy the beauty and pristine aura of the island which offers a totally new perspective on nature and its magnificence.
- Photograph to your heart’s content with the amazing backdrop that the whole place is made up of.
- Go look into the pristine makeup of the coral reefs by going glass bottom boating which offers a very unique experience.
- Feel the adventure by trying out activities like scuba diving and snorkeling which also offer a great view of the corals and the species thriving in the water body.
- Try out the local cuisines at the eateries once you come back to the Wandoor Jetty to experience the authentic taste of the place.
- Lay down on the sands and sun-bathe in the rays of the sun while enjoying the view of the dense forest which has a varied makeup of species in it.
Availability of Guides
It is always better to visit Andaman on a tour package which provides you guides throughout the trip in order to have a fulfilling trip ahead. These guides will make sure you visit all the places and can also take care of your belongings.
Best Time to Visit
Since Jolly Island is a pristine location where the preservation of the natural framework is a top priority, it is open only during specific times of the year. Usually it is open from the months of November till February, which can vary according to conservation work. Since this is a coastal region, the climate of the place is usually humid and stays the same throughout the year without any drastic changes.
How to Reach
Jolly Buoy Island can be reached only from the Wandoor Jetty which is at distance of about 30 kilometers from the capital, Port Blair. The boats leave from Wandoor towards the island at about 9 AM and is almost a 3-hour ride. Once it reaches quite near the island, tourists are transferred to a glass bottom boat to enjoy the view of the corals as one reaches the island. Then the return trip from the island starts by 3 PM after spending time over there.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about Jolly Buoy Island
- Along with the Red Skin Island, this is also under the Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park.
- A mesmerizing coral with plethora of fishes and water species can be seen when going glass bottom boating or snorkeling.
- This island is basically a virgin one, with almost no signs of human interference and with it being closed during some months of the year for preservation reasons.
- Chidiya Tapu
- Red Skin Island
- Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park
There are no options for eating in this location, and food has to be carried by visitors from the Wandoor Jetty itself.
A pristine location which opens the heart and soul to an amazing perspective, Jolly Island is one of the places which is a must visit for nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts. It’s amazing aura makes it a place which is so intoxicating that it makes a deep impact on us.