- Famous For: Tourism, Experience seekers, Photography, Sight-seeing and Surfing.
- Entrance Fee: No available entry fee. However, fee for boating, surfing is applicable separately as per the going rates.
- Visiting Time: No specified visiting time; however, one may need to rent a cottage for staying the night. Cottage rates are applicable separately.
- Visit Duration: Approximately one-two days, if one’s agenda is to venture the whole of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands and not just Butler Bay beach separately.
Butler Bay Beach is one of the hidden gems of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The picturesque beach lies in Little Andaman and is helmed as one of the best surfing spots in India. Located 14Km away from the Hut Bay pier, it is an inward molded shoreline. This gives the visitors a breath-taking view of the beach and its long shore from any given point. Visitors also do not have to think hard about accommodations, as they are readily available for the tired travelers in the form of beautiful tourist huts and cottages with a view overlooking the vast ocean. Private hotel facilities are also available for those who desire it and are ready to shell in some extra cash. One would definitely not be bored upon a visit here, as there are plenty of activities one can indulge in. Swimmers especially seem to enjoy the high waves and the clean water. The shoreline lined with giant coconut trees also make for a nice resting spot in the shade. The sunsets and sunrises are something one should make a point not to miss.
- It is advisable to not sunbathe in the Butler Bay Beach as there are a lot of sandflies.
- Please adhere to the safety norms and regulations when surfing, boating or engaging in any such activities in or near the water.
- Do not go swimming too far, especially when the waves are too high.
- Carry a mosquito repellent if you are planning to stay the night.
- Book the cottage or tourist hut beforehand to avoid hassle, especially at peak tourist seasons.
Things to Do
- The Butler Bay Beach is one of the best places in India for surfing; so needless to say, surfing is to be featured on the top of the to-do list. However, do not go overboard if you are not a pro at it.
- As it is mentioned in the article, swimming is a favorite activity that the revelers indulge in upon their visit here.
- One can even try out boating in the ocean waters. It is fun and refreshing with the breeze blowing.
- Sight-seeing is a must in this beautiful beach. You may also choose to opt for coral viewing.
- One can also indulge in bonfires by the beachside during a winter stay with friends and family members.
- Sun-basking is a favorite pastime most tourists especially the foreigners indulge in.
- Travelers are also welcome to try out jungle-trekking and elephant rides as leisure activities.
- Tourists can also visit the Oil Palm Plantation as well the factory to oversee the oil palm fruit production and oil extraction.
Availability of Guides
There is a tour guide who usually guides tourists across the entire expanse of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. If travelers are travelling individually, they can always get guides from the local authorities upon request.
Best Time to Visit
Monsoon is a bad time to visit the island beach. The rainy season starts from May-August. It’s best to visit during the warm summers when one can bask in the glorious sun. The winter time around November-January gets chilly and cold. Cold lovers often turn up at the Butler Bay Beach to enjoy the winter breeze.
How to Reach
The Andaman and Nicobar Islands are not connected to the Indian subcontinent by trains. One can either avail the airways or ships (cruises included) as a method of transportation. A proper ship service connects Port Blair to Chennai, Kolkata and Vishakhapatnam. One can then travel to the Butler Bay Beach via roadways or by availing boats. Port Blair is also connected to major airports in Chennai, Delhi, Kolkata, and Bhubaneswar. One can then cover the rest of the distance by availing regular boats. The journey takes about 5-6 hours approximately.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about the Butler Bay Beach
- The Little Island, on which the Butler Bay Beach is located, has 30 elephants.
- Revelers at the Butler Bay Beach can indulge in Elephant safari in the tropical jungle.
- Tourists can also indulge in snorkeling and scuba diving, both of which are fun-filled activities.
- Little Andaman Lighthouse
- Netaji Nagar
- White Surf Waterfall
- Cinque Island
- Diglipur Beach
- Amkunj Beach
- Full Moon Café
- Anju Coco
- Fat Martin Café
- Golden Spoon
- Icy Spicy
- Ananda Restaurant
- Red Snapper
- The Wild Orchid
The Butler Bay Beach is the ultimate detoxifying destination to visit on your next holiday. If you are bored and tired of your daily life, you know where to turn up to spice things up. From surfing in the high tides to boating through the Creeks this place is beaming with energy and vibrancy. The million-dollar view only adds to the desirable list. So, go grab your phone and dial in your tour operator before the huts get filled. Once you reach do not forget to visit the White Surf Waterfall.