- Famous for: Serenity, Spirituality, Divinity
- Entrance Fee: No entry fee for this location, children below 3 years are not allowed in the Ashram.
- Visiting Time: 8 AM to 12 noon and then from 2 PM to 4 PM
- Visit Duration: 1 hour to 2 hours
The perfect spot to compliment the serenity of Pondicherry is what the Ashram stands for. With a vibrant community who live and work throughout Pondicherry, Sri Aurobindo Ashram has achieved worldwide recognition for the work done within the community. Located in the eastern part of Pondicherry, this was set up by Aurobindo Ghosh and his followers after he stepped away from politics to concentrate on spiritual work after his enlightenment. The community grew under him and the Mother and now has got innumerable number of people working for the cause both within the city and from elsewhere. This ashram has got a courtyard in the middle where the Samadhi of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother is adorned with flowers and kept for followers to visit and meditate around. The dynamic culture of the location has also got a library with the teachings and the history of the place.
- Silence is expected to be maintained at all times with phones being asked to be switched off.
- Children below the age of four are not allowed within the area.
- Photography without proper permission is not allowed.
Things to Do
- Meditate in the calming surroundings and enter a different world of serenity.
- Learn about the life of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother, as well as their history and their teachings.
- Visit the library nearby which has all the books on the teachings of the people and their way of life within the Ashram.
- Look at the Samadhi of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother which is adorned with a lot of flowers.
- Watch the short movie at the visitor’s center which has got the history of how the Ashram and their way of life was formed.
- Visit the famous Ganapathy temple nearby which is beautifully built and has got an amazing architecture.
- Shop at the local markets which has got a great collection of local goods to collect souvenirs.
- Eat out at the plethora of options which are available and which offer different food from many parts of the country.
Availability of Guides
The ashramites will guide you throughout the whole ashram and will explain the purpose and their way of life. So, there will be no particular need for guides within the ashram.
Best Time to Visit
The climate of Pondicherry is almost constant throughout the year as it is a coastal region. The summers can be quite humid and make the trip uncomfortable. During the month of August, the birthday of Sri Aurobindo is celebrated with great fervor throughout the city, making it a great time to visit the Ashram. The winters are the perfect time to visit the city as the mild climate makes the visit more pleasant.
How to Reach
The Ashram is located right near the beach on Rue di La Marine. The airport at Pondicherry has got flights coming in from cities like Hyderabad and Bangalore. It has not got a railway station with the nearest one being at Vilipuram situated at about 35 kilometers away. A number of buses are available to reach the city with auto rickshaws and cabs being used in plenty to travel within the city.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Sri Aurobindo Ashram
- Aurobindo Ghosh established the Ashram in 1926, after living his life as a poet and a politician.
- It focuses on yoga and meditation as methods of achieving spiritual greatness.
- His ardent follower, Mira Alfassa later came to be known as the Mother for her devotion to their way of life and became an important person in the establishment of the Ashram.
- The Ashram has got a trust through which it gets a lot of donations from followers for its functioning and activities.
- It also publishes a number of journals on the details of the work and the spirituality behind their way of life.
- West Boulevard
- Bistro Sharana
- Baker’s Street
- Don Giovanni’s Restaurant
- Gingee Fort
- Sri Gokilambal Thirukameswarar Temple
- Plage Paradiso
The alluring location has got a number of people regularly visiting it. A trip to Pondicherry without visiting this famed location is definitely incomplete indeed. So, make it a point to visit the Ashram to widen your perspective.