- Famous for: Mountain climbing, photography, trekking
- Entrance Fee: No entrance fee
- Visiting Time: Subject to change according to climatic conditions.
- Visit Duration: Depends on the trek distance the shortest being 4 hours.
Set at a height of 4000 metres above sea level, the Ralam Glacier trek of Pithorgarh is one of the most sought after treks in the Himalayan belt of ranges. The picturesque surrounding landscapes and the majestic abundance of the Himalayas have not to be explained much. The Ralam Glacier is a trekker’s delight and it is beauty and grandeur at its epitome. The challenge it gives its trekker’s is unparalleled and is exquisite in its elegance.
- Make sure you have lots of woolen clothes packed. You don’t want the cold to hit you. Trust me it can be quite mean at times.
- Make sure you hire the expertise of an authentic guide and this has to be organized before you reach the place.
- Keep a first-aid kit with you at all times and pack the necessary medicines that are required.
Things to Do
Is there any limit to what you can do at the Himalayan mountain ranges? Right from trekking to snow- boarding to stay in rustic hamlets of the Himalayan ranges, there is always something to enjoy.
- Explore the unexplored trekking trails of the Glaciers
- Plan some fun activities like snow- boarding, skating, mountaineering etc. in the ranges. Or simply make a snow angel with your loved ones.
Availability of Guides
Make sure you hire the help of an authentic organization experienced in Himalayan trekking expeditions. This is not something to be taken lightly and it definitely cannot be thrown into the hands of someone you cannot trust. Avail an expert guide from the official tourist office at Almora. This is your safest bet.
Best Time to Visit
This is highly dependent on the seasonal changes. Generally, tourists flock to Ralam in the last weeks of April to mid-October. But like I said, this is subject to change according to the climatic conditions.
How to Reach
Now this has to be a bit detailed. The trek to Ralam Glacier is quite long and is definitely a challenging expedition. You can get down in Almora via the Kathgodam Railway Station. The Ralam Glacier is 296kms away from Kathgodam and from here you reach the Munsyari Base Camp via Chaukori. From Munsiyari you have to trek through Pato, Lingurani, Damphu Udyar and finally you reach the Ralam village. From here it is only a mere 10 kms.
Interesting Facts and Trivia about Ralam Glacier
- The Ralam Glacier is located in the Great Himalayan Belt or Wall of the Alpine Giant.
- In case you didn’t know the Ralam Glacier is divided into two halves- The Upper Ralam and Lower Ralam.
- The base camp is at Munsiyari and is a wonderful vantage point for the ascent.
- Ralam Glacier trek is one of the most sought after challenging trekking trails out of all the Great Himalayan treks.
- The Ralam Glacier is located at an elevation of 4000 metres above sea level.
- It is only a 10 km trek from the village of Ralam.
- The people of Ralam are one of those warm and welcoming group settled in perfect harmony with nature.
- The rustic hamlet of Ralam offers you the rare opportunity of a few days stay, so that you can mingle with the local culture.
- Maharajke Park
- Jagdamba Colony
- Gorkha Old Kila
- Pithoragarh Fort
- Kamaksha Temple
- Dhwaj Temple
- Haat Kalika Temple
- Askot Sanctuary
- Arjuneshwar Temple
- Kapileshwar Mahadev Temple
- Athithi Restaurant
- Milan Onway Restaurant
- Meghna Restaurant
- Jagdamba Restaurant
The Himalayan Ranges do have that mesmerizing power to capture your senses to its core. The Ralam Glacier lives up to that reputation. It is undoubtedly one of those trekking expeditions that will test you both physically and mentally. It really tests your patience but is definitely worth the climb.