- Popular For: Pilgrims, Trekkers, Photographers and Nature Lovers
- Entry Fee: Not applicable
- Visiting Time: Not applicable
- Visit Duration: 30-45mins
Thal Kedar, a religious shrine dedicated to Lord Shiva situated at a height of 8300ft. It is a temple located on the Kumaon hills in the Soar Valley. The place is a well-known religious shrine and is thronged by pilgrims. Every year people throng this place to get rid of their sins. It is a sacred land and taking a dip on its holy waters is believed to cure all your sins. The scenic beauty of the place along with ethereal view of the Kumaon Himalayas makes it quite a unique adventure. Situated at distance of 16km from Pithoragarh, this place usually involves trekking through the enchanting Soar Valley. Hence, it attracts trekkers and nature lovers all through India. The magical beauty and the panoramic view of the mountains draw photographers to this place. Hence, despite being a pilgrim destination it attracts a range of tourists all through the year
- The trekking route covers a mountainous stretch and requires quite a decent climb of nearly 8 km. So, come well equipped and wear comfortable shoes and clothes.
- Carry water bottles to keep yourself hydrated.
- Use shades and goggles to protect yourself from sunrays.
- The road to the temple has some amount of vegetation, so tread carefully.
Things to Do
- A Visit to the renowned Thal Kedar Shiva temple is incomplete without an offering at the temple.
- Take dip in its holy waters.
- Marvel at the beauty of the temple set amidst the hills.
- Soak in the breath of fresh air and enjoy the panoramic view of the Soar Valley.
- Get a glistening view of the Badrinath, Nandadevi, Trishul etc.
- Unleash the photographer hidden in you and capture the magnificent Himalayas.
Availability of Guides
Guides are unavailable for temple visit. Similar to other religious shrines it is best explored on your own. This place is to enjoy the calm and serenity of the atmosphere. Thus, guides are best left behind. Be your own guide here.
Best Time to Visit
Pithoragarh along with Thal Kedar bears the same weather and climatic conditions. Autumn and Spring remains the best time of the year to visit this place. Thal kedar to best visited during this time. Hence, April to October seems to be an ideal to visit Thal Kedar when the weather is pleasant with plenty of sunshine and beautiful view of the mountains.
How to Reach
The place is located on a hill surrounded by hilly terrain and dense vegetation. It is 16km from Pithoragarh and usually trekked through the mountainous road set amidst Himalayan vegetation. The trekking route starts from the Naukelshwar temple and end at the Thal Kedar temple. It takes approximately 45 minutes to reach this place. One can also reach thal keddar from aincholi. Tanakpur is the closest railway station which is 150km from Pithoragarh. Buses, taxis and cars are available from Tanakpur to Pithoragarh. Pantnagar, the nearest airport is 250 km from Pithoragarh.
Interesting Facts and Trivia
- It is considered as a devaboomi that is gods land. A sacred land where the gods dwell in according to the Hindu religion.
- The temple is more than 1000-year-old.
- A huge mass gathering occurs here on Shivratri and an annual fair is held at that time.
- The temple has undergone renovation and constructional changes quite a number of times. Many rulers have contributed towards building it including rulers like Nana Saheb and Peshwa Baji Rao.
- Geologists say that the rock used for building the Shiva Lingam or Shiva Idol is 1000 million years old Dolomite rock, similar to those used in Vaishno Devi.
- There are ongoing plans to construct quarters for pilgrims stay, at a distance of 200 metres from the temple
- Thal Kedar lies pretty close to Pithoragarh and hence comes within the range of many town location. The Nakuleswar temple is off course one of them.
- There are several other temples lying in the vicinity like the Chandika temple, Arjuneshwar temple, Dhwaj Temple, Kamakha etc.
- The famous Kapileshwar also lies close by.
- Pithoragarh fort lies at a distance of mere 8kms.
- Ashur Chulla Sanctuary area and the musk deer sanctuary are other interesting tourist destinations.
- Meghana and Jyonar in pithoragarh are the nearest restaurants.
- Apart from this, Saraswati Sweet and Restaurant is another good option.
- Satkar restaurant also offers a great food.
All in all, Thal Kedar is the Vaishno Devi of Uttarakhand. The famous shrine of Kashmir in its regional incarnation in Little Kashmir. So, make sure to visit this ethereal beauty when you visit Uttarakhand’s Kashmir.