- Famous For: Wildlife, natural beauty, photography.
- Entrance Fee: No fees charged.
- Visiting Time: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM every day.
- Visit Duration: Around 3 hours.
Askot Sanctuary in Pithoragarh, Uttarakhand, India is a tourist destination that is considered some very interesting things- it is one of the most breathtakingly, fascinatingly beautiful tourist destinations in this part of India, but sadly, one of the relatively very less explored once. Or maybe that is not so sad? Maybe the seclusion lends more authentic charm to the place. This is renowned for being a deer sanctuary housing the rare species of Musk Deer. It also offers some of the best views emphasizing the beauty of Mother Nature, glimpses into peaks, mountains, passes and snow of the Himalayan mountain ranges it is located so close to. Further, it is in close proximity to quite some historical villages and valleys, which add to its crowd pulling power. It is one tourist destination in Pithorgarh that indeed is ideal for a diverse group of travellers all looking for different experiences.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes as the trip might involve some walking and physical activity.
- Carry bottles of water and items such as sunscreen if you need them.
- Refrain from polluting the place.
- If you have respiratory troubles, do not climb to very high altitudes.
- There are bathroom facilities nearby.
Things to Do
- Go trekking along the Himalayan ranges close at hand.
- Find out the historical significance of Lakhanpurkot village situated nearby.
- Indulge in local shopping and get used to the nuances of the local lifestyles.
- Click a lot of pictures of this picturesque place to take back with you as memories.
- Make sure to explore the available wildlife options of this sanctuary.
Availability of Guides
Guides are sometimes available for hire locally, and different guides charge different fees for different sorts of experiences. Guides are a very important component of the tour, and make sure you have one and that you comprehend everything they speak. There are also tour companies that take paid guides along with them when they set out. Also, local people sometimes have interesting stories to tell tourists.
Best Time to Visit
Uttarakhand is one Indian location that has the power to charm tourists into submission any time they visit, thanks to the snow-capped peaks and the lush greenery freckled with brightly coloured flowers. It is cooler than most places in humid, hot India by virtue of its proximity to the great Himalayan ranges. Even then, the best times to drop by are between the summer months of April and September, otherwise it is too cold for the common Indian crowd.
How to Reach
Jolly Grant Airport is the most convenient airport to reach this sanctuary, and also, there are buses plying to and fro between this and other Indian cities. Once you descend at any of the stations, you have to hire additional paid conveyance to take you to the hotels in the city heartland, and then hire taxis or cabs to reach the sanctuary.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Askot Sanctuary
- Its name literally translates to “Eighty Fortresses” in Indian languages.
- Rhododendron trees, native to places like Bhutan, are found extensively in this area and impart it with a characteristic crimson colour.
- There are a lot of tribal settlements near this area.
- This sanctuary is situated 5412 feet above ground level.
- You can practice adventure sports around this place.
- Munsiari, for natural beauty, bird watching, and thrill sports like skiing and backpacking.
- Nanda Devi Natural Park situated right in the midst bosom of the Himalayas and with a large variety of exotic flower species.
- Pindari Glacier for backpacking, skiing, natural beauty.
- The Meghna Restaurant, with good quality food, customer reviews and well decorated, modern peppy interiors.
- The Regal Restaurant for artistic cuisine.
- The Milan Onway Restaurant, a high-end fine dining luxury eatery.
Askot Sanctuary in Pithoragarh is definitely a place you should pay a visit to if you are looking to travel off the beaten track, into nature and history’s arms. It offers all that, along with exquisite vistas of the Himalayas and the famous Musk Deer into the bargain. Get (back)packing!