- Famous for: River Ganges, water sports, adventure sports, beach, Ayurveda, yoga, religious and cultural heritage.
- Entrance Fees: None for entering the area. Additional charges for adventure sports and camping which may vary greatly.
- Visiting Time: Open for 24 hours. Advisable to visit during daylight.
- Duration of Visit: No specific duration. It depends on what you really intend to do.
Uttarakhand has been gifted with many religious abodes of which Rishikesh is a notable one. It is considered as one of the holiest places for Hindus and every year it is frequented by lakhs of tourists. Located at the foothills of Garhwal Ranges, you can also say that Rishikesh serves as the Gateway to the Garhwal. This small town is world renowned for its age-old science of Ayurveda and Yoga. Internationally distinct for being the world capital of yoga, it is flocked by tourists, travellers and sages who wander in search of a higher knowledge and the right path.
- Don’t forget to take your camera or handycam with you as the place offers a serene picture of a torrent river Ganges cutting through the Rocky Mountains of Garhwal where for the first time it lays its huge span on the Northern Plains of India.
- It is not prohibited to shoot video or do some still photography at the place.
- To get closer to the nature, you may well have to walk or take a hike. Always wear some comfortable footwear for this purpose.
- Always keep a water bottle with you in case of dehydration.
- We’ll advice you to keep a good pair of binoculars with you for having a better view of the hills.
- Being a place of religious importance, non-vegetarian food and alcohol is strictly prohibited in accordance with the law.
Things to Do
- Roam around the place, breath into some fresh air which river Ganges brings with it and get immersed in the tranquil atmosphere of Rishikesh.
- There is a myriad of tourist attractions in Rishikesh. But what Shivpuri is really famous for is that it serves as a starting point for white water river rafting.
- You can also make bookings in one of the well-maintained camps and avail accommodation in tents to get a wholesome experience of Rishikesh’s Nightlife.
- These camps organize various events such as beach volley ball and dance by the bonfire.
Availability of Guides
Even though you don’t really need a guide except the occasional direction info from locals or passer-by’s, still you can hire one to accurately know where’s what and how much anything really costs.
Best Time to Visit
There are two zones in which it is best to visit Rishikesh. The first is from late September to mid-November which is the perfect time for white water river rafting. The second is from early March to mid-May after which temperature starts to rise sharply in the +35-degree Celsius bracket.
How to Reach
Shivpuri is 11 kilometres away from the Laxman Jhula Bus Stand of Rishikesh. It is a bit far from the Rishikesh Railway station and is 16 kilometres away. If you have flied in, then we would suggest you to take the route which goes via NH 7 as Shivpuri is then about 33 kilometres away from the Jolly Grant Airport. Other modes of transport such as private taxis and travellers are also available.
- Laxman Jhula
- Ram Jhula
- Pramath Niketan
- Beatle’s Ashram
- Bhootnath Mandir
- Chauda Manzil Mandir
- Neerkattu Falls
- Phool chatti Ashram
- Phool Chatti Falls
- Ananda Palace
- Astha Path (Marine Drive)
- Rajdhani Restaurant
- Tip-Top Restaurant
- Vasundhara Palace
- Chotiwala Restaurant
- Café Freedom
- The Beatles Café
- Roadhouse Bistro
- Bistro Nirvana
- Oasis Restaurant
- German Bakery
A primary tourist spot which always finds its place on every traveller’s bucket list who comes to visit the beautiful town of Rishkesh. The place is a must visit for Hindu devotees and fanatics. Not just for the devout, Shivpuri is made for adventure enthusiasts too as the place offers a wide range of adventure sports. From white water river rafting to bungee jumping, the place has got something for everyone.