- Famous For: Sight-seeing, boating, Speed boats, Fishing, Photography
- Entrance Fee: No entry fee
- Visiting Time: Anytime during the day
- Visit Duration: 1 to 2 hours
Chamera Lake is a mystic lake located in the Chamba district in Dalhousie, in the northern state of Himachal Pradesh. It is actually located 25 kms from the main hill station. At an elevated height of 763 meters above sea level, it makes a perfect getaway with friends, family and loved ones, to spend a day or have a picnic. The Chamera Dam nearby is the source of Chamera Lake, as it is the former’s reservoir. Apart from this source, it receives a continual supply from River Ravi. Chamera Lake is a famous tourist destination, due to its perfect year-round climate.
- Food stalls are there around the lake.
- Wear comfortable clothes and footwear, since the area is vast to explore. If you are prone to cold, carry a sweater, jacket or a shawl.
- Take care of your mobile, wallet, jewelry and other personal belongings.
- Chamera Lake being a popular tourist attraction, it is often crowded. To avoid crowds, visit on a week day.
Things to Do
- Indulge in water sports like motor boating and river rafting, provided by the Himachal Pradesh Department of Tourism.
- Do boating in the lake.
- Take mesmerizing photographs of and around the lake.
- Have a picnic at the banks of the river.
Availability of Guides
Guides are not available, since they are not required.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit is during the months of March to June. It is advisable to avoid coming in monsoon season, due to heavy rainfall. Overall, the weather is cool and pleasant all year long.
How to Reach
It is at a distance of 25 kms from Dalhousie. If you are going from Chamba, it is at a distance of around 40 kms. You can travel from both these places by taxi or private vehicle.
Interesting Facts and Trivia About Chamera Lake
- Chamera is an artificial manmade lake, and is set amid a picturesque backdrop, with lush tress and green valleys.
- The lake is an essential part of the Hydroelectric project and the Chamera Dam. The Chamera Dam is at a height of 1700 meters. There is a total of three stages of the dam.
- It is a source of water for basic needs and irrigation for the villagers.
- The water body is deprived of aquatic life.
- An astonishing feature of the climate around the dam and the lake is the extreme temperatures. Its gets really hot during the day and it drops to single digits at night.
- The lake is also famous for water sports like kayaking, canoeing, paddle boating, river rafting, motor boating etc. House boats and shikaras are also famous among tourists.
- The lake is a perfect place to picnic during all months of the year, due to the beautiful climate.
- Daikund Peak
- Chamera Dam
- John’s Church
- Khajjiar Lake
- Gandhi Chowk
- Patrick’s Church
- Sach Pass
- Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary
- Garam Sadak
- Subhash Baoli
- Khajji Naga Shrine
- Rock Garden
- Lakshmi Narayan Temple
- Golden Devi Temple
- Francis Church
- Moti Tibba
- Bhuri Singh Museum
- Jandri Ghat
- Norwood Paradham
- Bara Pathar Temple
- Panch Pandav tree
- Tundah Wildlife Sanctuary
- Akhand Chandi Temple
- Grace Mount
- Dalhousie retreat
- Kwality restaurant
- Mongas café
- Old Sher E Punjab restaurant
- Glory hotel and restaurant
- The dining hut
- Moti mahal restaurant
- Napoli restaurant
- Dalhousie heights restaurant
- Forever café
- Shive café
- Moti Mahal deluxe
Chamera Dam is one of the most popular and frequented tourist attraction of Himachal Pradesh. It makes a great getaway and a must visit when holidaying in the state.